Health Services Coordinator
Job Title: Health Services Coordinator
Reports to: Manager of Admissions, Records, and Student Services
Group/Department: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
The University launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program, the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD). The joint Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)/ Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD) degree, to be launched in July 2019, aims to improve individual and population health by training diverse clinician leaders with the skills, attitudes, and commitment to promote wellness, to ease suffering, and to develop more effective and equitable health care delivery systems. Consistent with UGHE’s vision of training future leaders with expertise in health care delivery, our medical students will pursue a joint MBBS and MGHD degree.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in needed, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Health Services Coordinator is an integral and valued member of a small team that is building robust systems to support an environment conducive to all faculty, staff, and students’ wellbeing at UGHE. S/he will build and manage the evaluation, maintenance, and improvement of the physical and mental health of the students, faculty, and staff. S/he will also manage the campus health facilities and liaise with the Student Services Coordinator to ensure that all campus-related activities are aligned with the overall well-being of students. The Coordinator will interact with students, faculty, and staff at all levels, across time zones and cultures. S/he must be committed to engaging collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students to respond effectively and empathetically to concerns.
- Provide confidential health advice to individual students, faculty, and staff as requested
- Liaise with the Student Services Coordinator to ensure that student life activities are aligned with the overall well-being of students
- Assess students who arrive at the campus health facilities, and either refer them to a doctor, or, if appropriate, administer medication. If a student is too ill to report to the health clinic, the Coordinator will assess the student in his/her dormitory.
- Manage the campus health facilities, including keeping inventory, maintaining up-to-date records, and providing health services to students, faculty, and staff
- Serve as a contact person between the Butaro hospital and the UGHE campus as far as campus health issues are concerned.
- Coordinate and lead health and health related advocacy work in and around the campus.
- Coordinate and lead efforts of disease prevention in the campus
- Develop and lead orientation and ongoing development sessions to students, faculty, and staff on physical health, stress management, mental health and well-being, and drug and alcohol abuse, among others.
- Coordinate and administer first aid training to faculty and staff as needed
- Prepare and maintain student health records
- Ensure that UGHE’s health services and processes align with Government of Rwanda standards and requirements
- Participate in other UGHE activities and committee work as requested by the immediate supervisor and UGHE leadership, including assisting the Butaro Hospital.
- Participate in health sciences simulation based training that is core to the medical education at UGHE.
- Participate in the Community based education program of the students. This will require the candidate to travel to CBE attachment sites with the students and faculty
- Qualified to practice as a Registered Nurse or General Practitioner by the Rwanda Medical and Dental Council (RMDC)
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in nursing, medicine, psychology, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- Academic credential in counseling, psychology, or social work
- Experience with counseling, psychology, or social work preferred
- A minimum of 2 years experience in public health nursing/medical care, community nursing/medical care, school health nursing/medical care, or pediatric nursing/medical care required
- A passion for providing and supporting an environment in which all students can thrive, and a deep commitment to the mission of the University as well as a vision for increased excellence in the student experience required
- Experience in project management and/or program creation, design, and implementation, particularly in a fast-paced, startup environments
- Proven ability to manage through crises with discretion and a sense of responsibility and respect for students, families, and the institution
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to work with and represent the student experience to faculty, staff, alumni and other stakeholders
- Experience in multicultural working environment required; experience working in East African countries preferred
- Fluency in English required; Fluency in Kinyarwanda and/or French desired
- This position will require working beyond traditional hours.