Principal Scientist - Innovation
Perrigo Company is dedicated to making lives better by bringing high quality and affordable self-care products that consumers trust everywhere they are sold. Help us do it.
The Perrigo Nutritional R&D team in our Vermont facility is now hiring for an experienced Principal Scientist to join their group.
The Principal Scientist drives product and process innovation across multiple matrices by applying technical expertise and complex methodologies to conduct and/or design experiments. Also, this individual leads and trains colleagues in conducting complex experiments as well as being a strong technical reference for the Nutrition R&D team. This role primarily serves as an individual contributor, but may manage 1-2 scientists or technicians.
Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Using an appropriate design rationale, individually drive or oversee the creation of appropriately designed new products and processes that meet relevant performance criteria.
- Prepare documents for regulatory filings and/or scientific publication.
- Design experiments, provide data and provide responses to comments on FDA deficiency letters.
- Partner with Commercial, Business Development and other stakeholders in project ideation and adjudication.
- Maintain awareness of scientific, patent and industry literature and trends that relate to relevant product and process innovation.
- Adopts a Challenger Posture to new product and process development and actively integrates the Voice of the Consumer into product and process design.
- Attend and present data at project-related meetings and external technical forums, interact with other departments and outside testing laboratories to ensure thorough product and process innovation.
- Participate in cross-functional project teams effectively and collaboratively.
- Research, prepare and review technical documents, including but not limited to SOPs, technical packages, vendor qualification, raw material and release and stability specifications, stability summaries, test methods, and certificates of analysis which conform to company standards.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Completion of an advanced degree (preferably Ph.D.) in Food Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent.
- At least five (5) years of relevant professional experience in a technical Innovation role is required. Ten (10) or more years preferred.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills are essential to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams and investigate and resolve technical problems or deviations.
- Good leadership skills, self-starter and determination to push for results are essential.
- Strong track record of incorporating “Voice of Consumer” in developing products that meet targets and delight.
- Deep knowledge of dairy and food processing unit operations and technologies and track record in challenging technology and processing axioms and paradigms.
- Working knowledge of regulations and regulatory processes that apply to infant formula and dietary supplements and foods for special dietary use.
- Understand business direction and needs and design research plans to deliver on innovative nutritional product business objectives.