Environmental Health and Safety Engineer- Bronx, NY
Perrigo Company is dedicated to making lives better by bringing high quality and affordable self-care products that consumers trust everywhere they are sold. Help us do it.
The Environmental Health and Safety Engineer supports site EHS and department objectives through management consulting, training and development, inspections, audits and investigations, ergonomic reviews, environmental regulatory evaluations and committee assignments related to environment, health and safety.
- Conduct and/or provide training reference material for safety related training's (fire safety, machinery safety, HAZCOM, respirator protection, lock-out/tag-out, electrical and general safety, etc.) for new-hire orientation, department safety meetings and ongoing training requirements.
- Supports environmental programs, including evaluation of regulations, writing guidance documents for internal resources and auditing system components for compliance, and, when required. Works cooperatively with all areas of the organization to ensure adequate training and compliance with the program.
- Assists with ensuring operation of the wastewater pre-treatment facility meets permit requirements, and all applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
- Facilitates compliance program for various EHS related permits including monitoring, records keeping and reporting to local authorities. Provides support during any EHS related audits by external organizations.
- Conducts EHS inspections/audits to identify and evaluate hazards and prevent incidents, coordinates documentation activities and follow up. Provides EHS expertise to client areas by advising of potential safety hazards and environmental requirements and correcting any deficiencies. Interfaces with management from all areas (such as Manufacturing, Laboratories, Warehouse, Engineering, etc.) to communicate hazards and recommendations of solutions.
- Respond to and investigate accidents which include completion of reports and follow-up as needed, inclusive of interviewing employee and Supervisor and documenting results and provide corrective action recommendations.
- Drafts EHS related procedures and policies. Review draft procedures and implement various safety instructions as needed.
- Assist with job analysis of PPE (triggered by observations or by review of a job), recommend appropriate training and place a purchase order for required PPE, if needed.
- Supports Employee Safety Committee chairperson. Coordinates monthly meetings for the Employee Safety Committee to promote a safety culture throughout the facility. Attends Management Safety Committee on employee Safety Committee's behalf.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering, safety, industrial hygiene or related field, with previous experience in pharmaceutical operations highly preferred.
- Knowledge of EHS management systems, hazardous waste and transportation regulations, and local, state and federal related compliance requirements.
- Safety experience dealing with OSHA regulations, especially ergonomics.
- Experience with wastewater facility operation and permitting is highly preferred.
- Ability to effectively lead and motivate teams, drive change and communicate with all employees
- Knowledge of compliance requirements and best practices, the ability to influence, and effective presentation skills.
- Computer literacy with a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Three to five years’ experience in safety, environmental engineering and/or industrial hygiene.
- Working knowledge of product reliability, blueprint reading, toxic and reactive chemistry, and hazard communication.
We are seeking a diverse applicant pool to ensure the diversity of our team reflects the end consumers we serve through our self-care mission. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates our team’s differences. Individuals of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, ancestries, religious creeds, sexual orientations, genders, gender identities and gender expressions, national origins, ages, mental and physical abilities, familial status,’ veterans status’, military status’ and more are encouraged to apply. TOGETHER, we make lives better.