Senior Industrial Designer - Oral Care Products
Perrigo Company is dedicated to making lives better by bringing high quality, affordable self-care products that consumers trust everywhere they are sold. Help us do it.
Please note: While we are currently working remotely, this position will be located in our La Palma, California or Grand Rapids, Michigan office once we are able to safely return to in-person work. At the time of application please provide a link to your online portfolio in your resume, or be prepared to provide works from your portfolio upon request. Thank you!
As a Senior Industrial Designer you’re responsible for developing the future of oral care product experiences for our brands (Firefly, REACH, Plackers, Steripod) and our customers’ owned-brands. You will work on new product development strategy and execution with cross-functional team members across a variety of product categories. This includes collaborating to identify and visualize new opportunities using consumer insights and market trends, as well as conducting research interviews, ideation exercises.
Translating observations and insights into concrete concepts, using visual and hands-on tools of sketches, storyboards, renderings, and prototypes to create a great product experience and validate with consumers is a critical part of your role. You will also help guide and proactively problem-solve innovative solutions with the product development team by creating designs and documentation that encompass functionality, usability, aesthetics, and fit and finish for a complete user experience. You must be able to help define process, deliverables, timeline, and necessary resources for design work on projects.
You will also be an integral part advocating and supporting the growth of design and design-thinking within Perrigo as we continue our transformation to a consumer self-care company. Excellent communication skills for both formal and informal presentations, as well as the ability to influence and inspire are a necessity.
Summarized in bullet point format:
- Own large design projects from beginning to end, working with marketing, engineering, manufacturing and other functions to achieve outstanding experiences.
- Translate user insights and market requirements into form and features through sketches, prototypes, CAD models, and advanced renderings.
- Help shape design direction for assigned projects that reinforce brand values and advance product performance.
- Take a very hands-on approach; you believe a prototype reveals things that theory cannot.
- Take risks; you can accept, process, and learn from your failures for the betterment of your work.
- Collaborate with cross functional team and suppliers to ensure successful, on-time commercialization of products and services.
- Research trends in color, finishing, design, technology, materials and identify those of applicability to projects.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design or related field
- 7+ years of professional experience in product development. Branded consumer products experience is preferred.
- Proficient in 2D and 3D design applications; preferred Creative Suite, SolidWorks and Keyshot.
- Portfolio that demonstrates design research knowledge, strong visual communication skills, successful design process, and history of shipping innovative solutions.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally for research, market visits, and factory visits (approximately 10-20% avg).
We are seeking a diverse applicant pool to ensure the diversity of our team reflects the end consumers we serve through our self-care mission. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates our team’s differences. Individuals of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, ancestries, religious creeds, sexual orientations, genders, gender identities and gender expressions, national origins, ages, mental and physical abilities, familial status,’ veterans status’, military status’ and more are encouraged to apply. TOGETHER, we make lives better.