Supervisor, R&D Formulations - Oral Care Business Unit [Ranir]
Perrigo Company is dedicated to making lives better by bringing high quality and affordable self-care products that consumers trust everywhere they are sold. Help us do it.
Reporting to the Director of New Product Development, the leader in this role is responsible for developing new innovative formulations for cosmetic & OTC products by applying knowledge of chemistry, product formulation, chemical materials and product development in the creation of new products, technologies, and processes that will provide Ranir with a competitive advantage.
Other Key Responsibilities Include
- Provide formulation science expertise to independently develop / formulate new consumer products in the cosmetic, new drug OTC or combination drug/device categories to replicate and/or improve upon national brand products, provide advanced or innovative consumer benefits, improve manufacturability or cost, or avoid existing intellectual property.
- Identify new product opportunities and/or technologies, assess new technologies, businesses and products to determine fit with existing business and marketing strategy; identify, evaluate and develop suppliers and contract manufacturers for process development and commercialization of new products; and research and assess intellectual property and regulatory issues related to new products with the assistance of counsel.
- Manage and provide chemical technical lead expertise to new product development teams for the development of new chemical products or processes. This includes functioning as project lead and/or technical; generating budgets and timelines; developing cost estimates for products or processes; communicating project status throughout the organization; and identifying and managing outside technical expertise utilized in projects.
- Identify suppliers with key technologies required in manufacturing new products, interface with suppliers and take a lead role in (chemical, formulation-based) process development, prototype batching, scale-up, process validation and transfer efforts. Work with suppliers and contract manufacturers (CMs) to solve problems and improve processes/products; cooperate proactively to drive costs out of supplier/CM processes and products; understanding and documenting supplier/CM processes.
- Provide scientifically-based decisions using chemistry, formulation and materials / ingredient knowledge to Engineering, Operations, and other departments in support of existing or new products, processes or process improvements; cost-reduction efforts; or guidance on the specification and purchase of capital equipment.
- Direct supervision responsibility for formulation scientists in the development of new formulations and/or technology exploration in support of the Strategic Plan. Duties include goals & objectives setting, providing on-going feedback and conducting year-end performance review.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline with nine (9) or more years applicable formulation or development of consumer or pharmaceutical products experience; or equivalent combination of advanced Master’s Degree or Ph.D. and years of experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in managing development projects.
- Some prior experience leading direct reports or project teams with the ability to lead a professional team to achieve team and business objectives.
- Experience in consumer care or medical device preferred.
- Experience working on and leading projects following a documented design control and project management process; prior experience operating in FDA-regulated manufacturing environment preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various types of analytical test equipment used to evaluate formulated products.
- Demonstrated knowledge of patents, U.S. Pharmacopeia and USFDA regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage outside contractors and suppliers.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with associates and stakeholders globally; demonstrated ability to work with senior leadership, multi-national or virtual teams, and frontline organization.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute design of experiments.
- Strong knowledge of GMP and GLP.
We are seeking a diverse applicant pool to ensure the diversity of our team reflects the end consumers we serve through our self-care mission. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates our team’s differences. Individuals of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, ancestries, religious creeds, sexual orientations, genders, gender identities and gender expressions, national origins, ages, mental and physical abilities, familial status,’ veterans status’, military status’ and more are encouraged to apply. TOGETHER, we make lives better.