Perrigo Company is dedicated to making lives better by bringing high quality and affordable self-care products that consumers trust everywhere they are sold. Help us do it.
Reporting to the site automation lead in Allegan, MI, the automation engineer will be responsible for day-to-day maintenance of automated tablet manufacturing equipment as well as the execution of projects to install new equipment and enhance existing machine automation systems and networks.
Job functions will include the following:
- Work with production engineers and maintenance team to support tablet manufacturing automation systems.
- Troubleshoot problems and design/implement new features to enhance machine operability, efficiency, and safety. Relevant systems include Allen-Bradley PLC's and HMI's, SCADA systems, OEM-developed software, I/O subsystems, and drives/servos.
- Monitor and execute automation projects to align with production schedules and downtime.
- Maintain automation networks and hardware. Must be able to work closely with IT department to support and troubleshoot communications between automation systems and other enterprise-level systems.
- Review automation requirement specifications for new equipment to ensure that standards for components, safety, and overall system architecture are followed.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline and 3 or more years of progressively responsible and relevant work experience. Consideration may be given to those who have a Bachelor of Science and hold 6 or more years of progressively responsible and relevant work experience.
- Experience with automation validation and change management in an GMP environment, hands-on knowledge of control system applications including hardware components, including experience and familiarity with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) is highly preferred.
- Experience with Allen-Bradley software and knowledge of control system architectures, communication networks (Ethernet I/P, Profibus, Modbus, etc.), and control system design principles.
- Experience with Windows networking, Active Directory, Ethernet I/P communications, and managed switches is highly preferred.
- Ability to read and understand electrical drawings, flowcharts, and network schematics as it relates to control system design documentation.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, sound decision making skills, and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in a team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated self-confidence, ability to interface with multiple departments, consultants, and contractors, and be able to work with production engineers to support control system policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of control panel design and electrical controls engineering principles.
- Demonstrated leadership and presentation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interpret and apply written procedures and standards governing manufacturing processes.
- The successful candidate must be physically able to climb stairs, use hands to manipulate basic hand tools/hand-held equipment, and operate a motor vehicle to access various plant locations.
We are seeking a diverse applicant pool to ensure the diversity of our team reflects the end consumers we serve through our self-care mission. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates our team’s differences. Individuals of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, ancestries, religious creeds, sexual orientations, genders, gender identities and gender expressions, national origins, ages, mental and physical abilities, familial status,’ veterans status’, military status’ and more are encouraged to apply. TOGETHER, we make lives better.