Legal Counsel (Employment, Investigation, Data Privacy/Security focus)
Perrigo Company is dedicated to making lives better by bringing high quality and affordable self-care products that consumers trust everywhere they are sold. Help us do it.
We are currently looking for a legal counsel to join our Legal team in Allegan MI. to help support HR and other functions of the business.
Key responsibilities will include
- Providing legal guidance to stakeholders at various levels of the organization in relation to U.S. federal and state employment laws and regulations and labor law.
- Responsible for conducting, investigating, and managing investigations of HR issues and potential compliance issues and ensuring investigations are handled promptly, accurately and resolved consistently in the U.S.
- Responsible for monitoring changes to U.S. federal and state employment laws and regulations, conducting legal research for internal business customers, and providing concise, understandable, practical, accurate, and actionable legal advice and training to non-attorneys related to U.S. federal and state employment laws and regulations, internal investigations, and HR policies and practices.
- Resolving legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise, including pre-litigation dispute resolution and settlements;
- Helping select and/or directing the work of outside counsel, defining project objectives, managing project, and monitoring outside counsel operates within budget.
You bring to the role
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school and admission to a state bar; active and in good standing
- Minimum of 5 years professional combined legal and business experience in corporate or law firm environment.
- Experience providing advice and counsel regarding U.S. employment laws and regulations, including ADA, FMLA, Title VII, FLSA, USERRA, as well as similar state laws and regulations. Experience with international employment laws and regulations a plus.
- Experience conducting internal employment and compliance investigations (U.S. and worldwide). Experience working with data security breaches, expertise in data privacy and data security, and knowledge of GDPR a plus.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to provide pragmatic, and solution oriented advice
- Clear understanding of and adherence to ethical principles, company values, code of conduct and policies.
- Commercially-minded and have excellent communication and inter-personal skills to enable you to work with all levels of management and negotiate with external clients
- Hands-on, attention to detail and the ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly
- Flexibility, adaptability and a team-orientated attitude
- Able to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- An ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 10% with limited notice due to business requirements.