Emergency ICU Veterinary Technician
Emergency ICU Veterinary Technician (Overnights)
Sherwood South Animal Hospital & Emergency Center
Baton Rouge, LA
More than a word, care is present in everything you do. At Sherwood South Animal Hospital and Emergency Center, a Thrive Pet Healthcare partner, we take action to empower your best care for pets, their families, and yourself.
We are a community of 400 clinics forming an extraordinary network of unparalleled resources and people. Through outstanding learning and career options, comprehensive benefits, and abundant support, you’ll be nurtured and appreciated for who you are and what you bring to the table. We come together in both the joys and heartaches of our profession to lift each other up through laughter and empathy.
And, we have plenty of fun along the way!
Who we are
At Sherwood South Animal Hospital and Emergency Center you’ll feel the warmth and openness of a small clinic, while having the opportunity and support of a united network.
Love working with both people and pets? We want you on a team!! It takes a special person to work at Sherwood South Animal Hospital and Emergency Center.
Provide your best care with more bridges and less barriers.
Sherwood South Animal Hospital and Emergency Center is looking for a Veterinary Technician to join us as part of the Thrive Pet Healthcare community.
As a Veterinary Technician you’ll play an important role in pets’ lives by providing end-to-end care for our precious patients. Your life-changing work will range from the hands-on care of facilitating outpatient treatments and performing laboratory tests, to support services including admitting and discharging patients.
- Support veterinarians to ensure quality veterinary care, advocate for pets, and educate clients.
- With each hospital function, assist veterinarians and the medical team to maximize productivity and maintain positive patient flow.
- Assist with surgeries and procedures in accordance with your state's Veterinary Practice Act outlined for credentialed veterinary technicians.
- Communicate with clients about individualized pet health concerns and offer guidance on Thrive Membership options, medications, and additional treatments.
- Assist in maintaining relevant, comprehensive medical records with the support of practice systems.
- Obtain relevant health history and information from clients and maintain medical charts.
- Use safe restraining techniques, follow standard protocols, and sustain clean, sterile, organized treatment areas, exam rooms, and labs.
- Be willing to guide, mentor, and support fellow team members.
Experience & Skills Requirements:
- Previous ICU experience in a veterinary clinic setting
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and focus on client care
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Familiar with common disease processes that present to emergency service with an understanding of treatments and medications associated with their care.
- Strong medical math skills. (Including being able to calculate fluid rate, common CRI’s and multimodal drug infusion.)
- Able to obtain Blood pressure, ECG, Sp02, and ETC02 and integrate clinical signs with disease processes to assist doctors in early and appropriate intervention of patient care.
- Ability to place NG tube and provide maintenance
- Ability to place central line and provide maintenance
- Comfortable utilizing digital radiography machines to acquire images using proper technique and positioning.
- Prepare animals and instruments for surgery
- Provide surgical assistance and post-operative care
- Administer medications, and treatments prescribed by a veterinarian
You’ll Grow with Us
Here, you can grow your career as best fits you through access to comprehensive learning and skillset programs. You can build your skills and earn credentials through:
- Our vast, diverse, and free library of continuing education courses - ThriveU
- Live, virtual interactive workshops to develop valuable leadership skills
- A program to designed to teach you the fundamentals of running a pet hospital
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA Accreditation and become a Vet Tech through our fully accredited distance learning program for veterinary technicians
- Scholarship opportunities and tuition reimbursement
And, with so many locations nationwide, you can find and move into any specialty, hospital type, or environment. Join us and provide your best care at a clinic that is deeply rooted within its community and bolstered by the resources of Thrive Pet Healthcare.
Benefits – our care in action
We provide benefits spread comprehensively across your mental, physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing designed to meet your needs as a unique individual. Some key benefits include:
- Paid time off including 8-weeks of full-pay parental leave, bereavement to grieve both humans and pets, and time off for new pet adoptions
- Top quality medical, dental, and vision insurance plus health savings account and flexible spending account
- Pet perks including free exams, discounts on products and services, and more at all Thrive Pet Healthcare locations
- Generously subsidized backup and ongoing care support for children, adults, and pets
- Mental health benefits including coaching and therapy sessions
- 401k with employer contribution and no waiting period
- Continuing education and development support through our library of free CE courses and paid time off to complete
- Scholarship opportunities and student loan support program
and so much more!
At Thrive Pet Healthcare, we celebrate and embrace the uniqueness and diversity of all of our team members, pet parents, and pets. We strive to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture where all team members belong and feel empowered.