Pilchuck is looking to add a part-time Kennel Attendant to their amazing team!!!
The primary purpose of the position is to keep the hospital premise immaculate. Secondary to this duty is to provide for the basic needs of animals that are patients at Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital and care for them as instructed by the technician(s) on duty. Responsibilities will vary depending on the current needs of the hospital staff and the season of the year.
Starting salary: $18 per hour.
The schedule each week is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday 5 AM-10 AM.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Maintain cleanliness, sanitization, and organization of cages, runs, wards, animals and their personal property (toys, treats, blankets, leashes).
- Maintain housekeeping and laundry duties for all areas (includes emptying trash).
- Maintain department (i.e. cleaning, restocking, preparing instruments for sterilization, etc.)
- Perform general cleaning in treatment, reception and surgery rooms.
- Patrol hospital grounds daily, picking up any trash and stool material.
- Perform work according to established methods or following special instructions.
- Follow the hospital policies and procedures.
- Complete other duties as assigned specific to the department.
OTHER DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES to be completed under the direction of the technician(s) on duty:
- Observe and report animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent to technicians and/or veterinarians for any animals.
- Perform needed cleaning and maintenance of all equipment and tools used in job assignments.
- Feed each animal as instructed and record appetites; keep dishwashing area sterile, clean, and neat.
- Provide support to technicians as directed; this may include assisting with and setting up for procedures, as well as giving baths (ordinary cleansing) and grooming as may be necessary to the treatment and constant cleanliness of each animal (as needed or if stay is longer than 5 days).
- Safely restrain dogs and cats for various medical procedures.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE and SKILLS
- Must be able to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency.
- Must be able to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Must be willing and able to learn to administer medications and recognize abnormal conditions.
- Basic knowledge in animal behavior and care is preferred.
- Experience in a veterinary hospital or related medical field is preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Often requires lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 40 lbs as well as handling of materials of up to 20 lbs. Additionally requires handling dogs weighing up to 150 lbs.
- Capable of walking and/or standing for long periods as well as frequently working in a bent position.
- May be required to use strength and/or agility in walking and restraining stronger, more active animals.
- Work is normally performed inside; some outside work is required.
- Exposure to unpleasant odors and noises as well as bites, scratches and animal wastes.
- Possible exposure to contagious diseases.