The Kennel Assistant provides care and the basic needs of animals that are being groomed, boarded or that are patients of Offshore Animal Hospital including cleaning of cages, runs and ward areas, laundry, walking, and proper feeding, medicating and care of all hospitalized patients. The kennel assistant operates under the supervision of the Kennel Manager and Practice Manager.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease, and discontent.
- Handle animals as required and restrain animals.
- Walk boarded dogs several times a day to provide exercise and time for elimination of bowels and bladder.
- Bathe, groom and provide Tender Loving Care to boarded animals.
- Provide care for animals housed/visiting the Hospital. Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to animal health technicians/veterinarians.
- Apply knowledge of normal food and liquid requirements of animals. As required, provide special food and liquids.
- Ensure that animals are clean and fresh smelling prior to discharge.
- Ensure that cages and animals are properly numbered and identified and that personal property (toys, treats, blankets, leashes) are stored in the proper area and identified.
- Clean, disinfect and maintain kennels, cages, and runs as often as is necessary to ensure no cages or kennels are soiled and odors are not apparent. Perform general cleaning in other areas of the hospital to control the spread of disease. Wash and sterilize water and food bowls.
- Launder and dry towels and blankets.
- Patrol hospital grounds daily, picking up any trash and stool material. Empty trash.
- Bathe and dry animals. AS required, perform nail trims and ear cleanings.
- Record information such as feeding scheduled, appearance, behavior of animals that are boarded or groomed. Exhibit a technical knowledge of products and medications sold, including dietary products. Demonstrate the ability to explain and educate clients on products and answer their questions. Work well with all employees and ensure that your actions support the hospital, doctors and practice philosophy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
CONTROLS OVER WORK
The Kennel Assistant works under the direct supervision of the Practice Manager and Kennel Manager who will indicate general assignments, limitations and priorities. Doctors and Technicians provide specific instructions in giving medications, feeding specific diets or following special sanitary procedures. Recurring assignments are performed independently. Deviations or unfamiliar situations are referred to the Kennel Manager.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Apply knowledge and skills in controlling/handling individual animal temperaments.
- Ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them for transport, grooming, and treatment.
- Knowledge of proper methods of animal restraint.
- Knowledge of grooming practices for wide range of small animals.
- Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency.
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical labor.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client and personal services. This includes client needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of client satisfaction.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by and employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job.
- Frequently required to bend, stand, stoop, walk, sit, communicate, and listen, frequently working in a bent position.
- Frequently use hands to manipulate, handle or feel; will reach with hands and arms.
- Use strength or agility in capturing and restraining stronger, more active animals.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally handle dogs weighing up to and over 150 lbs. Assistance will be provided by colleagues when working with larger animals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious disease.
Work is normally performed inside; some outside work is required.
Follow federal state animal health laws and regulations including OSHA and DEA.
- Ability to handle and restrain animals using appropriate procedures.
- Ability to walk animals.
- Ability to clean and maintain kennels, cages, and runs. Perform general cleaning to control the spread of disease. Wash and sterilize food and water bowls.
- Ability to observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease, and discontent.
- Regular attendance and timeliness are and essential function in order to fulfill the requirements of this position.
- Strong communication and client service skills. Considerable tact and diplomacy are required. Ability to work with clients and patients in a professional, friendly, hospitable manner.
- Work well with all employees and ensure that your actions support the hospital, doctors, and the medicine that we practice.
- Perform general physical activities that require bending, standing, stooping, moving from room to room, sit, talk, and listen; may be required to walk or stand for long periods of time; will use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; will reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently lift, carry dogs weighing 50 pounds. Walk and handle dogs weighing up to and over 150 pounds.
Why work at Offshore Animal Hospital?
Offshore Animal Hospital of Nantucket is a full service year round veterinary hospital. It is our commitment to provide quality medical care for the life of your pet and maintain an animal hospital with advanced technology and diagnostics on island. We offer wellness visits, medical, acupuncture, surgical and dental services by appointment or on an emergency basis. Visit our website for more information about our hospital! http://www.offshoreanimalhospital.com/
We offer an incredible benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life, 401k, paid time off as well as pet benefits!
Apply today! We look forward to hearing from you! Qualified candidates, please e-mail your resume to [email protected]