Principal Software Engineer
The Principal Software Engineer is a hands-on coding lead Engineering role responsible for software development of the back-end systems that power Pathway’s consumer facing web and mobile presence, creating cohesive solutions, and improving quality of the development lifecycle within the platform. The Principal Software Engineer demonstrates expertise in a variety of development practices, concepts, and procedures, including building scalable micro-service-oriented enterprise platforms.
The Principal Software Engineer will work directly with the VP of Engineering to develop and implement platform enhancements and features, templates, reference implementations, and documentation to be used by the development team to develop a modern, cloud based, enterprise platform that supports a highly scalable and resilient digital platform.
This specific role will be very hands-on: you will work closely with our internal business partners to understand their unique needs and build solutions for them to solve real problems in the field.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work as a trusted technical advisor to the CTO/VP of Engineering to set the technology strategy and select technology to be used within the platform ecosystem.
- Hands on experience developing serverless microservices and software platform in the Azure cloud.
- Expert level experience in developing products using .Net, ideally .Net Core.
- Experience in Microsoft SQL Server database and serverless technologies.
- Set Software Engineering standards.
- Lead engineer guiding onshore development teams.
- Lead engineer guiding offshore development teams.
- Work with the Product teams and Customers to provide technical designs for implementations as well as scalable software solutions.
- Provide highly reliable cloud solutions that are extremely secure enabling Operations to manage environments simply and effectively.
- Assist in hiring and manage engineering talent.
- Engineer high performance and high availability cloud-based systems for the organization.
- Develop and execute on long range technology strategy roadmaps.
- Conduct architectural and engineering reviews and code audits and code reviews.
- Provide technical recommendations to senior executives to assist the decisions on proposed IT investments/solutions.
- Offer expert advice on application solutions including assisting with planning and architectural design, development, and resolution of technical issues.
- Create engineering standards documentation and reference implementations/templates for the rest of the engineering team to consume.
Innovation & Strategy
- Provide technical leadership to engineers including contributing to product development.
- Effective communication of technology directions, capabilities, initiatives, and innovations to the other members of the leadership team.
- Alignment with technology peers to ensure a team-based delivery culture across shared resource pools.
- Provide guidance on new tools, approaches, methods, and features, leading technical solution team on implementation as required.
- Responsible for quality provision of innovation, project delivery, maintenance, and operation support aspects of portfolio against defined system SLAs.
- Can manage engineers and grow an international engineering practice.
- High aptitude in problem solving and customer service excellence.
- Strong understanding of technology strategy and solution architecture
- Interpersonal skills to interact with practice staff and pet families.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Highly organized and able to multi-task under time constraints.
- Ability to balance and prioritize work.
- A self-motivated team player.
- Strong customer service and troubleshooting skills.
- High energy, flexible, innovative and the ability to manage responsibilities and priorities in a fast-paced and time-critical environment.
- May be required to work early morning, evening or even weekend shifts.
- May be required to work in a mobile capacity.