Corporate Counsel - Product and Technology
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
SiriusXM and Pandora have joined together to create the world’s largest audio entertainment company. Together, we are uniquely positioned to lead a new era of audio entertainment by delivering the most compelling subscription and ad-supported audio experiences to millions of listeners – in the car, at home and on the go. Our talent, content, technology and innovation continue to be at the forefront, and we want you to be a part of it! Check out our current opening below and at www.SiriusXM.com/careers.
Pandora is seeking a highly motivated, proactive attorney for a unique opportunity to join the product counseling function of the Legal Department. The right person for this position must be a team player who is comfortable with ambiguity and shifting priorities, and approaches counseling clients pragmatically.
The candidate will provide practical legal advice and counseling on a full range of product-related issues that arise domestically and internationally, focusing on issue-spotting, risk mitigation, and remediation. This role will also ensure that Pandora complies with relevant laws and rules by monitoring trends in the tech industry, regulatory environment, and practices among peer companies, and counsel clients accordingly. The individual in this role is expected to work closely with clients to understand their needs and help them meet business goals.
This is a great opportunity to take the lead in addressing critical issues in an exciting, fast-paced and fun company. This position is based in Oakland, CA and will report to the Lead Product Counsel.
- Partner with members from the Product Management team throughout the product development lifecycle to drive and document compliance with the law and our policies, with an eye toward mitigating risk.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests from our engineering and product management teams, summarizing and communicating concepts those groups can apply.
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with user privacy, intellectual property, consumer protection, and advertising.
- Review, draft, and negotiate licenses and other similar agreements.
- Demonstrate ability to integrate and work well with legal, product management, engineering, and other internal business partners.
- Engage with outside counsel as appropriate.
- A JD degree from a nationally recognized, top-tier law school.
- Technical-related undergrad degree (preferred).
- Knowledge and experience with privacy-related issues, especially CCPA and GDPR (strongly preferred).
- Knowledge or comfort with open source, data use, and ad technology, or at least a willingness to learn and adapt.
- Admission to the State Bar of California or able to register as in-house counsel.
- A minimum of 3 years of technology-related legal experience gained from either a top-tier law firm or in-house at a technology company.
- A flexible self-starter who is willing to dig-in and learn.
- Excellent project management skills and sound judgment in interacting with internal business clients.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication, and analytic skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and professionally with all levels of management regarding complex legal issues.
- Demonstrated client service orientation; able to recognize and respond pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Ability to think creatively and devise solutions to challenging problems.
- Proven ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Team player willing to take on new projects and assignments as the department grows.
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
- The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application.
- The location or office to which you would like to apply
- The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".