Principal Engineer (Public Cloud)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission: protecting our digital way of life. It’s inspired by our vision: a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t simple statements. They won’t be easy either – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. As a company with a foundation in challenging the way things are done, we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the nature of cybersecurity as we are.
Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer (Public Cloud Security) who is responsible for building products that protect data, workloads and infrastructure for some of the largest enterprise customers in the world. You would help the customers in their journey to the public cloud by ensuring they have the best in class protection. The public cloud market has been growing at a very rapid rate for the last few years. As more and more enterprises leverage public cloud, there is an insatiable demand for securing workloads in public cloud. We not only secure production runtime workloads but are also embarking on introducing cloud product offerings to help prevent vulnerabilities from getting to production. This team is primarily responsible for building out the innovative product offerings around cloud security.
- Hands on experience with public cloud computing services (AWS, GCP and Azure) and familiarity with host & container technology
- Designing and implementing solutions to some really challenging engineering and research problems
- Develop, troubleshoot and maintain production level application code for new and existing services and products
- Recommend alternate approaches, analyze impacts, and provide sizing estimates
- Participate and provide substantial input in design sessions and code reviews
- Contribute and deploy plugins / extensions to various marketplaces.
- Mentor the team, help them grow technically and improve the quality of the output
- Contribute to building security tools and define industry best practices.
- Create and deploy applications on multiple platform marketplaces.
- Fullstack engineer who can learn and adapt to new programming languages and technologies on an as-needed basis
- Experience designing/building scalable REST API’s
- Experience with open source frameworks
- Experience designing systems with an emphasis on modularity, efficiency and maintainability
- Experience in full life-cycle software development, implementation, design and overall architecture
- Hands-on experience with relational SQL (including window functions, recursion, etc.) and no-SQL technologies
- Understand the value of iterating fast; learning from small, safe, frequent changes
- Excellent written, verbal and Interpersonal skills.
- Experience with cloud-native and distributed architectures
- A plus to have knowledge of CI/CD & Dev-Ops tools
- A plus to have knowledge of GitHub/Gitlab/Bitbucket/Azure DevOps/AWS Codepipeline
- A plus if you have worked in early stage, fast growth startups… especially in developer tooling!
- Desire to be part of an incredible team. That means being someone the team can count on, who communicates honestly and respects others and their views, who adapts quickly to changing priorities, drives positive change, and is committed to giving 100%
- Ensures high quality of code, that can be safely co-authored in a fast growing organization
- Is agile and enjoys the speed of a fast-paced, highly engaged startup environment, are curious, and constantly seek to improve standards as we go along
Our Tech Stack
Current stack includes: Java, Python, NodeJS, TypeScript, Postgresql, MemSQL, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, CSS, React, AWS Cloud, Azure Cloud, Google Cloud, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Terraform, CFTs, etc.
While we are looking for candidates with existing experience with our tech stack we believe curiosity, communication, and the ability to research and learn are most important.
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks, and the products and services that dedicatedly address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about building products to tackle problems no one has pursued before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled chance to create the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.