Principal Backend Engineer (Public Cloud Security)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission: protecting our way of life in the digital age by preventing successful cyberattacks. It’s not a small goal. It isn’t simple either, but we aren’t in this for the easy answer. As a company with a foundation in challenging the way things are done, we’re looking for innovators with a dedication to best. In return, your career will have a tangible impact – one that's working toward technology that affects every level of society.
Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.
You’ll be responsible for building products that protect data, workloads and infrastructure for some of the largest enterprise customers in the world. You’ll help customers in their journey to the public cloud by ensuring they have the best in class protection. The public cloud market has been growing at a very rapid rate for the last few years. As more and more enterprises use public cloud, there is an insatiable demand for securing workloads in public cloud. With the recent acquisition of two leading companies in this space - RedLock® and Evident.io, Palo Alto Networks is now the market leader in this space.
- Familiar with AWS and or GCP/Azure
- Experience working on Big data computing like RDS, Redshift
- Open source databases like Kafka, MongoDB, Cassandra, Spark, Hadoop, and others a big plus
- Responsible for complete software development life cycle including requirement analysis, design, development, deployment and support
- Write clean, testable, readable, scalable and maintainable Java code that scales and performs well for thousands of customers
- Participate actively and contribute to design and development discussions
- Develop proven understanding and be able to explain advanced Cloud Computing and Cloud Security concepts to others
- 10+ years of proven experience building web applications in Java and J2EE
- Strong computer science fundamentals (e.g. understanding of lock-free data structures, bloom filters, minimal perfect hashing, consistent hashing etc.)
- Experience designing/building scalable REST API’s and Soap web services
- Experience with open source frameworks/servers (Spring, Hibernate, Apache Tomcat)
- Experience with distributed computing (understand implications of CAP theorem, master election, brain split problem) and/or distributed DB/KVP (Cassandra, MongoDB, RedShift, Vertica etc.)
- Hands on experience with relational SQL (including window functions, recursion, etc.) and no-SQL technologies
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks, and the products and services that proactively address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about creating products to solve problems no one has tackled before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled opportunity to build the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.