Intern - Cortex Data Lake Software Engineer
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We are looking for a motivated, intelligent, hardworking and creative intern to join the Cortex data lake team as a software engineer. As a Software Engineer, you will be part of a team that designs and develops components of Cortex data lake which receives and stores massive amounts of data and makes it available for data processing. You will work on our cloud-hosted data lake; building microservices using best practices of software development. You will be working on one or more areas of cortex data lake including scalable ingestion, massive stream processing, query execution, query optimization, bulk processing, machine learning pipelines, and data management.
Our global internship program trains the next generation of cybersecurity talent across a range of specializations, from threat intelligence to information security, engineering, and marketing. Interns and recent graduates can learn about the network security industry from leading thinkers, grow their professional networks, and be part of a career-defining experience.
Our Summer Internship Program from May-August or June-September provides you:
- 1:1 mentorship
- Fun and engaging events that inspire your intellectual curiosity
- The opportunity to expand your knowledge and work on challenging projects
- Connections to other recent grads, and employees across the company as well as our leaders
- Design, develop and implement different architectural models for our scalable data processing, as well as scalable data storage
- Adapt to conventional Big Data frameworks and tools with the use-cases required by the project
- Work with different development and quality assurances groups to achieve the best quality
- Suggest and implement improvements to the development process
- Work with research teams and data scientists, finding bottlenecks and resolving them
- Build tools for proper data ingestion from multiple heterogeneous sources
- Developing-level of experience in design and implementation in an environment with hundreds of terabytes of data
- Developing-level of experience with large data processing tools such as Hadoop, HBase, Elastic Search, Flink, Kafka, etc.
- Developing-level of experience with Java
- Can-do attitude on problem-solving, quality and ability to execute
- Strong collaboration and communications skills
- High energy and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Requirements – To apply, you must be pursuing a 4-year Undergraduate Degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above, a 2-year Master’s Degree or a Doctorate degree and returning to school in the fall. You must have the authorization to work within the United States.
With Cortex data lake, we’re building the foundations of the next inflection point in the security industry by combining our deep expertise in security with the state of the art in large-scale infrastructure for data processing and machine learning. The team consists of engineers who are committers and PMC members in multiple open source projects including Apache Hadoop, samza, Hive, Calcite, and Cloudstack.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.