Software Engineer (L7 Security)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission: protecting our digital way of life. It’s inspired by our vision: a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t simple statements. They won’t be easy either – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. As a company with a foundation in challenging the way things are done, we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the nature of cybersecurity as we are.
Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.
We're seeking innovators - engineers who seek to design new products, designing state-of-the-art products that do not exist today. These engineers love to code with a drive to build global products and bring new ideas to develop security disciplines to solve real-world problems. We are looking for leaders who take ownership of their areas of focus and who are driven to pursue problems at every level. Collaboration is at the heart of our culture and we need engineers who can communicate at a high level and work well with multi-functional teams towards achieving a common goal.
As a key member of Layer-7 Security group, you will be responsible for designing and developing security features on the next-generation firewalls. You will work with product management on user requirement, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance and field support teams throughout the entire software development cycle.
- Innovate, design, and develop new security features in our next-generation firewalls product
- Contribute in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test
- Design robust programming language to address new product features, with a high focus on quality and execution
- Develop functional specifications, assess task requirements and scheduling, and assist in development, debug and support
- Suggest and implement improvements to the development process
- Clearly communicate goals and desired outcomes to internal project teams
- Interview, mentor and coach new team members
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, similar technical discipline or equivalent practical experience, Graduate degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or similar technical discipline is preferred
- Proficient in C and familiar with Unix/Linux development environment
- Hands-on experience with networking or network security technologies and C language development in a Unix/Linux environment
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP internals and common data structure and algorithms
- Verbal and written communication skills to work with multi-functional groups
- Teammate who brings a can-do attitude to a dynamic working environment
- Knowledge of multi-core / multi-process / multi-threaded programming is preferred
- Experience with network packet processing software development is preferred
- Experience with large-scale and/or high-performance software design and development is preferred
- TLS internals, cryptography, and OpenSSL
- Deep packet inspection engine
- Application layer protocols such as HTTP, SMTP, SIP, etc.
- Routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP, etc.
- Windows software development
- LDAP, Kerberos, SAML, etc.
- HTTP and web server backend development
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks and the products and services that proactively address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about creating products to solve problems no one has tackled before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled opportunity to build the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.