Principal Data Visualization Designer
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
Palo Alto Networks is building a world-class UX team and our fast growth means we are continuing to look for top-notch UX professionals to expand the team. As a Principal Data Visualization Designer, you will design and shape our UX vision and processes and champion great design throughout the company. You must be a self-starter, keen to learn and experiment with new technologies. You will need to be able to work independently as well as part of a larger team to identify challenges and define solutions.
We are looking for a Principal Data Visualization Designer who can translate complex data sets into visualizations for enterprise software that tell a broader story to our users. Data and dashboards can be more than just facts, numbers, and graphs - there should also be an overarching narrative that will surface new insights, reveal patterns, and encourage exploration. It should explain what’s happening, why it is important, and how to use it to drive better decision making.
The Principal Data Visualization Designer's responsibilities involve but are not limited to:
- From complex data sets, create beautiful data visualizations that tell a story to inform, facilitate exploration, and surface insights to our users.
- Take the lead in developing a new and forward thinking data visualization language for various types of interactive data visualizations and dashboards that will be deployed across multiple Palo Alto Networks products.
- Coordinate work closely with the Design System team to ensure design consistency across products, and create assets and specifications that can be used by other design teams.
- Collaborate closely with other UX / Visual Designers, product managers, and engineers.
- Participate in ego-free design reviews. Welcome feedback about your designs and offer constructive feedback to other designers.
- Create innovative concepts. Provide specifications and final assets when necessary.
- Stay in the loop and on top of the latest standards, changes, trends in the data visualization field.
- 7+ years industry experience as a UX or Visual Designer, showcasing an excellent design portfolio.
- Demonstrated experience with interactive data visualization, visual analytics, and/or design for data analytics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data visualization principles and best practices.
- Deep understanding of visual design disciplines (typography, iconography, composition, color, layout, etc.); ability to create beautiful, dynamic, functional designs in a breadth of styles.
- Strong attention to detail and design consistency.
- Understanding of UX/UI design principles and processes.
- Knowledge of Prototyping, HTML, and CSS.
- Experience designing products for security or IT users is a plus.
- Proficient with design tools such as Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite and Keynote.
- Degree in UX, Visual Design or equivalent experience required.