Staff Site Reliability Engineer (Microservices Support)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We’re looking for a Staff Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) with creative and innovative problem-solving skills. As a member of Infra SRE, you will work with other Engineering teams and help us architect, build, and maintain microservices and cloud apps on GCP (Google Cloud Platform) using GKE (Google Kubernetes Engine) across multiple geographic regions. You will own development efforts in each sprint from planning to delivery. You are expected to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push the technology forward. You will have the opportunity to work with product engineering on design and implementation of large scale distributed systems to support the development and deployment of microservices.
The role involves understanding the existing app stack and collaborating with other engineering teams in migrating existing app into microservices. You will not only identify performance bottlenecks and failure scenarios with the initial setup but also develop and implement automation and monitoring solutions on our GCP platform to support thousands of API req/sec traffic. The role also involves taking ownership of conceiving and creating a dashboard that provides visibility into API Traffic and overall health of application deployment.
- Collaborate and partner with other engineering teams in building highly reliable, scalable, and secure microservices from inception and design through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Support microservices before they go live through system design consulting, technical vision to SRE team members in deploying and maintaining microservices and frameworks, capacity planning, create and review operational runbooks.
- Review and participate app performance analysis and tuning, service-capacity-planning and demand forecasting.
- Automating our alerts configuration tool for Datadog to work with dynamic thresholds.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot complex mesh of microservices and web apps handling high volume of transactions.
- Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack - Application, microservice layer, Kernel and network.
- 10+ years experience as a software engineer developing web applications with advanced understanding of CI/CD process and automated orchestration and deployment framework for Docker containers.
- BS or MS Degree in Computer Science or Engineering and 7-10 yrs webapp development experience in: Java, C, Python, Go.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis of algorithms and software design.
- Proficient in Terraform and systems config management - Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.
- 5+ years experience in building scalable microservices based or distributed systems web applications with a focus on scalability and reliability.
- Fundamental understanding of distributed systems including the CAP Theorem and Microservices.
- Hands-on coding experience in developing microservices in Python or Go.
- 5+ years Python development experience in creating cloud-native transactional apps.
- Self-disciplined, self-managed, self-motivated and strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot complex distributed systems handling high volume transactions.
- Passionate to learn, understand, and dissect new technology stack quickly on own.
- Strong fundamentals in HTTP including HTTP headers, process and system API services.
- Experience with complete SDLC - from requirements to design, implementation, testing, release, and operations.
- Proficient in Linux, Git, GCP, AWS, Docker, JFrog, Jenkins, CircleCI CI/CD.
- Familiarity with Application/microservices security and Web App Firewall
- Passion for automation and monitoring instrumentation in the code.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
Working at a high-tech cybersecurity company within Information Technology is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You’ll be joined with the brightest minds in technology, creating, building, and supporting tools and that enable our global teams on the front line of defense against cyber-attacks. We’re joined by one mission – but driven by the impact of that mission and what it means to protect our way of life in the digital age. Join a dynamic and fast-paced team that feels excitement at the prospect of a challenge and feels a thrill at resolving technical gaps that inhibit productivity.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com