Technical Support Engineer: VM-Series Specialist
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
As a VM-Series Specialist, you will provide post-sales technical support on Palo Alto Networks VM-Series firewalls to the customers via phone, email, and web.
VM-Series firewalls are Next generation Virtual Firewalls deployed in public, private and hybrid cloud space.
Strong fault isolation and root cause analysis skills are required to diagnose and solve complex technical issues and provide timely solutions to internal and external customers in a professional manner.
Regularly updating support cases in a call tracking system and documenting customer problems, technical solutions and product information in the knowledge base are required.
Mentor and train new hires and junior engineers to drive continuous improvement and effectiveness of the team across the entire support organization.
Work to reproduce customer issues in the lab and qualify escalations. Create workaround for customer problems to minimize service impact.
Traveling may be required to customer and Partner sites to assist in fault isolation and root cause analysis.
Work with Development, Sales, QA and Marketing to build positive customer experience. Compliance with all Palo Alto Networks procedures including Escalation, Problem / Bug Reporting, and Lab recreations are required.
● Provide Technical Support on VM-Series firewalls to customers, partners and Palo Alto Networks Tier2 engineers by phone, email and in-person
● Work on post-deployment break-fix issues on VM-Series Firewalls deployed in Virtual environments including public, private and hybrid cloud space
● Work directly with escalation and engineering teams to get customer problems resolved
● Have a thorough understanding of NPI, Software release and bug cycles
● Able to isolate root cause for product defects and Reproduce customer issues in the lab
● Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
● Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise. Regularly participate in technical discussions with cross-functional teams
● Publish Technical Support Bulletins, provide content technical review for Knowledge Base as well as contribute to customer-facing forums and other technical documentation
● Manage technical escalations & own complex cases on virtual platforms
● Able to conduct multi-vendor troubleshooting
● Develop into Subject matter expert in at least one area
● Has visibility across the entire organization; leadership is recognized across the organization
● Take part in on-call shift rotation
● Long term experience related to the position is required; typically 3-5 years of relevant experience supporting Virtual platforms and next-generation firewall technologies
● 1+ year(s) experience supporting Palo Alto Networks Products is a plus
● 3+ years of demonstrable experience supporting Firewall and Networking devices. Experience with Cisco, Checkpoint, Juniper (Netscreen), Fortinet is a plus.
● Demonstrable knowledge of supporting virtualization hypervisors such as VMWare ESX/ESXi, KVM/Qemu, Citrix, XenServer, Microsoft Hyper-V
● Demonstrable knowledge and experience with AWS and Microsoft Azure installation, configuration and administration of security features and services (including identity and access management, service-related security features, networking, firewalls, encryption, and related best practices)
● Knowledge or experience on Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) and Alibaba Cloud is a plus
● Knowledge of interoperability between 3rd Party Partner products and Next-Generation Virtual firewalls
● Knowledge of Openstack is desirable
● Understanding of Networking concepts and experience with multi-vendor networking devices such as routers, switches, firewalls, traffic generators, etc.
● Good understanding of networking protocols (TCP/IP, Ethernet, VLAN, OSPF, BGP)
● Experience with Security Protocols (IPSEC / SSL-VPN / NAT / GRE)
● Good understanding of Unix/Linux and Windows operating systems
● Ability to independently debug broad, complex and unique networks with mixed media and protocols is required
● Industry Certifications a plus. For example, CCNA/CCNP, AWS Solutions Architect-Associate, Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator (Associate) VMWare Certified Associate (VCA)
● Ability to work independently, as well as contributing as a team player
Our technical support team is critical to our success and mission. As part of this team, you enable customer success by providing support to clients after they have purchased our products. Our dedication to our customers doesn’t stop once they sign – it evolves. As threats and technology change, we stay in step to accomplish our mission.
You’ll be involved in implementing new products, transitioning from old products to new, and will fix integrations and critical issues as they are raised – in fact, you’ll seek them out to ensure our clients are safely supported. We fix and identify technical problems, with a pointed focus of providing the best customer support in the industry.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.