Principal Network Engineer (1st Customer Network)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
Our revolutionary, next generation network security products are the vanguard of the enterprise security industry, leading the way in the fight to protect our digital way of life. Before our products ever see the light of day, they are used extensively by employees of Palo Alto Networks and we call this the ‘First Customer Network’.
The Principal Network Engineer, First Customer Network, owns this critical network, keeping it running and maintained, ultimately rolling it out to our other offices around the world! This role is a technical leader and evangelist responsible for Palo Alto Networks’ (PANW) security and network infrastructure for all enterprise, partner, and customer facing services related to First Customer rollouts.
- Lead multiple Security and Network Engineering initiatives consisting of design and deployment of complex products and platforms, including design analysis, testing, and integration.
- Translate roadmaps into deployable designs and features. Drive testing and deployment of security design architectures.
- Establish design principles, practices, implementations, and documentation. Create technical documentation such as network diagrams, test plans, deployment plans, security, and business workflows.
- Advise on procedures, techniques, and requirements to ensure maximum performance and availability of the security and network infrastructure. Recommend areas for improvement in both processes and systems.
- Partner with IT teams, Engineering and QA teams to deploy security and network architecture in test and production environments.
- Track, report and manage the resolution of critical and performance issues with Engineering and QA teams. Build on-going reports on software quality and system scale.
- Build Automation pipeline to repeatedly deploy architectures and code.
- Document best practices whitepapers.
- Implement security monitoring and analysis tools.
- Perform a risk analysis to identify IT security issues and remediating plans. Identify and mitigate operational risks where appropriate. Conduct security assessments with Infosec & Security Operations on overall architecture and use cases.
- Review/develop security policies (with security team), procedures and technical standards including corporate compliance and end-user awareness.
- Be the last level of escalation, resolve complex issues and provide technical guidance to other engineers related to upcoming releases and capabilities.
- Expert knowledge and hands-on experience with Palo Alto products and technologies including firewalls, network security, VPNs, end-point security, cloud security, Cloud Access Security Brokers, Data Loss Prevention, logging, application security, virtualization, and containers.
- Expertise in Cisco/Arista and Aruba wireless platforms.
- Must have a passion for automation with hands-on experience on Ansible, AWS, and other automation frameworks. Must have a working knowledge of bash/python.
- Strong understanding of Cloud networking with a broad understanding of hybrid infrastructure and AWS ecosystem technologies.
- Expert knowledge of networking and routing protocols such as TCP/IP, BGP4 (multi-homing), OSPF (multi-area), RIP, ISIS, etc.
- Expert working knowledge in the operation of Ethernet LAN switching protocols and standards including, VLANs/VXLANs, aggregation, Ether Channel, PVLANs, Spanning Tree & Rapid Spanning Tree, 802.1Q.
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills. Must be detail-oriented with an extensive background in planning and executing projects
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write network and security documentation, policies, and guidelines. Must be able to influence cross-team audiences with data and technical arguments.
- Ability to thrive and excel in a fast-paced environment handling multiple projects. Ability to work nights and weekends and provide some 24/7 on-call support.
- CISSP, CISM, CISA, SANS, ISO17799 preferred but not required.
- 10+ years experience in networking and security roles with Bachelors (preferably MS) in Computer Science or related field.
- PCNSE, CCIE, CCSP, CCDP, preferred.
Working at a high-tech cybersecurity company within Information Technology is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You’ll be joined with the brightest minds in technology, creating, building, and supporting tools and that enable our global teams on the front line of defense against cyberattacks.
We’re joined by one mission – but driven by the impact of that mission and what it means to protect our way of life in the digital age. Join a dynamic and fast-paced team that feels excitement at the prospect of a challenge and feels a thrill at resolving technical gaps that inhibit productivity.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.