Principal Backend Software Engineer (Spark, Kafka, Arrow)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
As a member of the advanced analytics and visualization group, you will be responsible for designing and developing new and innovative analytics for different services and apps at Palo Alto Networks next-generation security platform. You will take ownership for large software components, help in the design of the architecture, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance in the whole software development cycle.
● Tackle new and challenging problems by building a new generation of interactive analytics systems for cybersecurity
● Participate in architecture; design and development of features for the company’s visual analytics platforms
● Solve complex big data problems and build the necessary data processing pipelines
● Research, suggest and implement different analytics frameworks suited to the specific platform
● Be able to design complex test cases for the system and work with the QA team
● Suggest and implement improvements to the development processes
● BSc in Computer Science or relevant experience, MSc/PhD is a big plus
● Experience with data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark
● Experience with data streaming frameworks such as Apache Beam and Apache Kafka
● Experience with containerization and orchestration frameworks such as Docker and Kubernetes
● Familiarity with fast data transport protocols such as Apache Arrow is a big plus
● Experience with the following programming languages is a plus: Java, Scala, Python
● Good grasp of distributed computing concepts such as Map/Reduce
● Experience with backend data stores such as popular SQL and NoSQL databases such as BigQuery.
● Familiarity with applied Machine Learning and frameworks such as SparkML, TensorFlow, scikit learn, etc would be a plus
● Experience with Cloud platforms such as GCP and AWS is a plus
● Able to troubleshoot system-level integration and performance issues
● Fast learner and eager to absorb new emerging technologies
● Can-do attitude on problem-solving, quality and ability to execute
● Enjoys working with different teams with strong collaboration and communication skills
Our engineering team is at the core of our products and connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. We are constantly innovating — challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. Our engineers don’t shy away from building products to solve problems no one has pursued before.
We define the industry instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
We’re trailblazers who dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: We can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.