Principal Backend Software Engineer (Spark, Kafka, Arrow)
Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.
Role: Principal Backend Software Engineer
As a member of the advanced analytics and visualization group, you will be responsible for designing and developing new and innovative analytics for different services and apps at Palo Alto Networks next-generation security platform. You will take ownership for large software components, help in the design of the architecture, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance in the whole software development cycle.
- Tackle new and challenging problems by building a new generation of interactive analytics systems for cybersecurity.
- Participate in architecture; design and development of features for the company’s visual analytics platforms
- Solve complex big data problems and build the necessary data processing pipelines.
- Research, suggest and implement different analytics frameworks suited to the specific platform
- Be able to design complex test cases for the system and work with the QA team
- Suggest and implement improvements to the development processes
- BSc in Computer Science or relevant experience, MSc/PhD is a big plus
- At least 5 years of experience in software development
- Experience with data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark
- Experience with data streaming frameworks such as Apache Beam and Apache Kafka
- Experience with containerization and orchestration frameworks such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with fast data transport protocols such as Apache Arrow is a big plus.
- Experience with the following programming languages is a plus: Java, Scala, Python
- Good grasp of distributed computing concepts such as Map/Reduce
- Experience with backend data stores such as popular SQL and NoSQL databases such as BigQuery.
- Familiarity with applied Machine Learning and frameworks such as SparkML, TensorFlow, scikit learn, etc would be a plus
- Experience with Cloud platforms such as GCP and AWS is a plus
- Able to troubleshoot system-level integration and performance issues
- Fast learner and eager to absorb new emerging technologies
- Can-do attitude on problem-solving, quality and ability to execute
- Enjoys working with different teams with strong collaboration and communication skills
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks, and the products and services that dedicatedly address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about building products to tackle problems no one has pursued before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled chance to create the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
Our CommitmentWe’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.