Principal Software Engineer (Platforms)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
As a member of the Platform/OS software group at Palo Alto Networks, you will participate in the design and development of our next-generation firewall platforms. Responsibilities will include new hardware bring-up, drivers, mentoring other engineers, and the definition and development of system software to provide a consistent environment for feature development.
As a platform engineer, you will be expected to participate in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test. This includes developing functional specifications, assessing task requirements and scheduling, and participating in system-level bring-up, debug, and support.
- Participate in architecture; design and development of features for the company’s security platforms on on-premise devices, the public cloud, and private cloud
- Contribute Individually / Lead complex web software development
- Research, Suggest and Implement different web frameworks suited to the specific platform
- Be able to write and work with automated QA tests
- Suggest and implement improvements to development processes
- Minimum 5 years of related programming experience required
- S./M.S. degree in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Advanced level C coding skills
- New hardware bring-up experience
- Strong scripting skills with bash and python
- Experience of BIOS fundamentals and interaction with BIOS vendors, plus knowledge of X86-based system bring up
- Ability to work well with a group of senior engineers in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with x86 and MIPS architecture are pluses
- Experience developing device drivers and/or Linux kernel development
- Interest in hardware, system software, networking, and have experience with embedded software and/or low-level Linux kernel software development
- Experience with networking hardware and familiarity with physical networking technologies and hardware bus protocols
- Experience with build systems and tools such as gmake, Autoconf, rpm, and cross-compile environments
- Experience with coding for multiple build target architectures
Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. We are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. Our engineers don’t shy away from building products to solve problems no one has pursued before.
We define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.