Corporate Counsel (HQ – Commercial – Technology, Transactions & Privacy Team)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
Palo Alto Networks is currently seeking an enthusiastic, proactive and dynamic individual to join its global legal department in Santa Clara, California as a Corporate Counsel, reporting to Sr. Commercial Counsel, Technology, Transactions & Privacy practice team. You will be part of a fast-moving, collaborative legal team that impacts all go-to-market aspects of the business on a daily basis. The team is focused on developing our next generation licensing agreements, customer programs and channel partner programs to scale across Palo Alto Networks’ entire technology portfolio.
You will work closely with sales operations, revenue and finance, channel operations and global customer service teams. You will also be an important resource for Legal colleagues on a global basis. Strong candidates are solutions-driven and independent, with direct experience in drafting and negotiating software, cloud services, data protection, and hardware agreements. Excellent interpersonal communication and drafting skills and the ability to synthesize complex issues and influence and lead across functions are required – a sense of humor is a plus!
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of complex commercial, technology (including cloud and hybrid/SaaS models), intellectual property, channel, supply chain and vendor agreements that comply with the company’s policies and risk tolerance
- Familiarity with and working knowledge of privacy legal issues in order to review, draft and negotiate various Data Protection Agreements with customers and vendors
- Respond promptly and effectively to legal requests from sales, business development, operations, senior management, and other internal clients, and advise on recommended courses of action and legal risks
- Provide legal advice recommendations as may be necessary, including identifying processes, legal requirements, registrations, and procedures
- Ability to judge when to escalate identified issues as may be necessary
- Support continuous improvement of standard form agreements, policies and legal processes related to commercial transactions
- Handle special projects as requested
- Conduct responsibilities, projects, and interactions in accordance with Palo Alto Networks’ stated values
- Qualified lawyer to practice in at least one U.S. state, preferably California, and have a law degree from a reputable law school
- 4-6+ years of strong commercial transaction experience with demonstrated success, significant experience with data privacy and/or information security a plus
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in structuring complex commercial transactions
- Extensive background in drafting and negotiating customer and reseller agreements for cloud services, professional services agreements, business associate agreements, data processing agreements and intellectual property agreements
- Developed organizational capabilities and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Familiarity with revenue recognition principles
- Excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking, superior work ethic, flexibility and ability to work independently
- Ability to work efficiently with cross-functional teams and manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure
- Superior language, written and verbal communication skills required.
- Sense of humor always a plus and commitment to professionalism is expected
- Experience in cloud security, cloud computing agreements or other high technology companies preferred
- Sporadic travel may be required
The legal team at Palo Alto Networks is a dynamic team that impacts all go-to-market aspects of the business every day. The team is immersed in developing new programs and evolving existing ones to scale across Palo Alto Networks’ entire technology portfolio. You will work closely with teams from other departments to immerse yourself in the ins and outs of our business to support it from a legal perspective. Our legal team is an essential resource on a global basis, impacting and driving our products and services.
You’re passionate about legalities in a way that drives solutions. You think creatively on the legal team, but with a higher purpose, driven by our mission to protect our digital lives.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.