Principal Data Scientist (Public Cloud Security)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
Detecting security breaches through data analytics is a challenging problem and has huge potential. You are a hardworking and passionate Data Scientist who wants to make an impact by pushing both the field of data science and cybersecurity forward. From day one, you are able to roll up your sleeves, waste no time and bring all of the security and data science experience to the team to develop innovative security analytics.
- Define, implement and improvise algorithms to detect known and unknown threats using techniques in machine learning working closely with in-house security experts
- Work with web-scale datasets incorporating distributed systems and open source data analytics clusters
- BS in a quantitative field (e.g., Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, or Operations Research) or an M.S. with 4+ years of relevant experience
- Advanced level experience successfully applying supervised and unsupervised machine learning methods with an emphasis on anomaly detection
- Significant experience in Python or Java
- Successfully deployed or worked with teams to deploy machine learning models to production
- Passion for pursuing difficult problems and delivering validated results
- Working knowledge of cloud APIs (AWS/Azure/Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Advanced competency with relational SQL (including window functions, recursion, etc.), Redshift
- Basic understanding of distributed queues
- Experience using big-data search ingestion, storage, and indexing
- Basic understanding of REST APIs, HTTP, JSON
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks, and the products and services that proactively address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about creating products to solve problems no one has tackled before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled opportunity to build the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.