Principal Big Data Software Engineer (Threat Intelligence Cloud)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
The Threat Intelligence Cloud Team is looking for a Principal Data Software Engineer to be responsible for developing and operating our big data, distributed system platform and AutoFocus.
AutoFocus is our contextual threat intelligence service that accelerates analysis, correlation and prevention workflows. Unique, targeted attacks are automatically prioritized with full context, allowing security teams to respond to critical attacks faster, without additional IT security resources.
As a Principal Data Software Engineer, you will be working with highly motivated software developers that thrive on solving challenging problems. You'll be responsible for building large-scale, distributed software systems in Java, Python, and other languages using open source technologies like Hadoop, Kafka, Redis, Spark, Flink (and other proprietary technologies).
- You will be an integral member of our threat intelligence service, i.e. auto focus, team responsible for architecture, design and development.
- You will need the dynamic ability to adapt to conventional big-data frameworks and tools with the use-cases required by the project
- Ability to communicate with research teams and data scientists, finding bottlenecks and resolving them
- Design and implement different architectural models for our scalable data processing, as well as scalable data storage
- Build tools for proper data ingestion from multiple heterogeneous sources
- Be both a deep technical leader and hands-on expert for Opensource development tools being used to build the Application Framework
- Project management, tracking, and delivery
- Master’s degree in computer science or related fields
- 8+ years overall Software Development experience with 2+ years in developing large scale big data projects and/or distributed systems
- Hands-on experience with an object-oriented language like Java or C++
- Ability to contribute technically to design and development
- Able to partner with dev-ops for all operational aspects of the system
- Great communication skills and ability to work smoothly with multi-functional teams
- Hands-on experience working with large scale data ingestion, processing and storage
- Hands-on experience with the Hadoop ecosystem, Spark, non-relational databases (NoSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra), messaging systems (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Hands-on experience with cloud infrastructure services such as GCP is a bonus.
- Comfortable building automation systems for quality control, builds, monitoring, and alerting
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks, and the products and services that proactively address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about building products to solve problems no one has pursued before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled chance to create the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at accommodations@