Principal Data Scientist (Big Data Analytics)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
Our Big Data Visualization Team, through the combination of data analytics and visual creativity, builds smart dashboards and infographics that will enable us to make the best and fastest decisions possible and we are looking for a new member of the team. Could this be you?
Using your creative experience with open source solutions, you’ll Build rich and dynamic dashboards using out-of-box features, customizations, and visualizations using d3 or equivalent, extending open-source visualization tools to support our unique requirements for visualization, security, and data access.
- Identify/develop appropriate machine learning/data mining/text mining techniques to enable better business outcomes
- Understand and analyze data sources including sampling biases, accuracy, and coverage
- Ask questions and break apart problems scientifically. Form hypotheses and validate
- Use analytical rigor and statistical methods, machine learning, programming, data modeling, simulation, and advanced mathematics to analyze large amounts of data, recognizing patterns, identifying opportunities, posing business questions and making valuable discoveries
- Research new ways for modeling and predictive behavior for large scale projects
- Generate and test hypotheses, designing experiments to answer targeted questions of advanced complexity
- Collaborate with data engineers to identify data preparation/cleansing/ETL pipelines
- Define data needs, evaluate data quality, and extract/manipulate data in a "Big Data" environment
- Documents projects including business objective, data gathering, and processes, leading approaches, final algorithm, detailed set of results and analytical metrics
- Interprets and communicates insights and findings
- Coach and mentor less experienced team members
- Validate score performance
- Conduct ROI and benefit analysis
- Document and present model process and performance
- 5 years of overall development experience
- 3+ years analyzing and interpreting data
- 0-3 years of working experience in analytics, data mining, and/or predictive modeling
- Demonstrated ability to lead and execute projects from start to finish
- Ability to independently support existing products
- Proven track record in modifying and applying advanced algorithms to address practical problems
- Excellent knowledge of machine learning/data science approaches
- Comfortable interacting with business peers to understand and identify use cases being able to articulate solutions and present them to business
- Familiarity with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Exceptional coding skills in Python, R, PySpark
- Ability to adapt to scrum & agile methodology, comfortable with development tools like Jira/Confluence
- Experienced in applying data science to business problems (sales, IT, etc.) preferred
- Experience with Hadoop and NoSQL related technologies
- Knowledge of NLP/Text mining techniques and related open source tools
Working at a high-tech cybersecurity company within Information Technology is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You’ll be joined with the brightest minds in technology, creating, building, and supporting tools and that enable our global teams on the front line of defense against cyberattacks.
We’re joined by one mission – but driven by the impact of that mission and what it means to protect our way of life in the digital age. Join a dynamic and fast-paced team that feels excitement at the prospect of a challenge and feels a thrill at resolving technical gaps that inhibit productivity.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.