Technical Writer (Network Security)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
As a technical writer at Palo Alto Networks, you’ll play a key role in documenting both new features and release notes, helping customers track our product updates to enforce their network security. We are looking for a writer who is passionate about how our users experience documentation, curious about how the product works, and committed to accurate documentation to enable our users to successfully use our software. This effort directly contributes to helping our users fully utilize the platform to protect their network and reduce calls to our support organization.
- Work with quality assurance and support teams to produce customer-facing Release Notes and provide feedback on the user experience.
- Work with product and development teams to provide customers with a better understanding of the product features.
- Work with the rest of the documentation team to resolve doc bugs, identify and address customer documentation concerns, and deliver accurate and quality documentation for each release.
- Provide feedback on the current Release Notes process and help implement improvements.
- Write new documentation for product features.
- Perform hands-on product testing.
- Know the craft—You like writing and you have an innate ability to think like and write for our users. You see every feature and task as part of a broad scenario, and are interested in not only how something works, but also when and why to use a particular configuration or setting.
- Organization—You can take large amounts of technical details and organize them into topics that users can easily find and use to solve their network security problems.
- Initiative—You’re not afraid to propose changes to improve process and quality to enable a better customer experience and you are relentless in hunting down the information you need.
- Interpersonal skills—You are able to work with developers, QA, PMs, customers, SEs, and support to successfully gather information required to understand the problems our users are facing and the ways our products help to solve them.
- Problem solving skills—You have strong critical-thinking skills and use them to ensure that you are providing just the information our users need to complete the task at hand.
- Strategic thinker—You’re always looking ahead. You’re able to anticipate what’s next and are thinking about how we can meet our users’ needs not only today, but tomorrow as well.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience required.
- Experience with security technologies is a huge bonus.
- Proven experience with writing documentation.
- Ability to see the big picture and proven track record of writing from scratch.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently with limited direction.
- Experience with the tools that we use to get our work done is a plus. Our tools include: Source control tools (Perforce), Topic-based authoring tools (DITA or XML authoring), Video tutorial creation tools (Camtasia), Illustrators (Adobe Illustrator or Google Slides), Team collaboration and release tracking tools (Confluence, Jira, and G Suite).
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyber attacks and the products and services that proactively address them. Our Product Management Team helps us do just that.
Our organization and employees are committed to changing as rapidly as our industry’s threats do, and to do that, we need creative product teams to address emerging cyber threats. They provide the behind-the-scenes support for our products by being a source of information on our products for our systems engineers, staying on top of the environment we sell in, and helping to implement product wide technical solutions based on our client’s feedback and needs. As threats and technology evolve, we stay ahead to accomplish our mission.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.