Sr Principal Engineer (Consumer Products Network Security)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We're seeking innovators - software engineers who seek to design new products, designing state-of-the-art products that do not exist today. These engineers love to code with a drive to build global products and bring new ideas to develop security disciplines to solve real-world problems. We are looking for leaders who take ownership of their areas of focus and who are driven to pursue problems at every level. Collaboration is at the heart of our culture and we need engineers who can communicate at a high level and work well with multi-functional teams towards achieving a common goal.
As a key member of our Consumer Group, you will be responsible for designing and developing security features. You will work with product management on user requirement, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance and field support teams throughout the entire software development cycle.
- Innovate, design, and develop the data plane of a new consumer oriented network appliance product, working on TCP reassembly, TLS decryption, protocols decoding, threat detection and prevention, IoT security, etc.
- Own and be responsible for multiple components in the system and invent them from scratch
- Deliver the product's core security features in high quality and performance
- Contribute in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test
- As an expert on networking and security, work closely with other teams or team members on hardware, system platform, management plane and cloud services in the group on communication, system designing, system integration, testing, etc.
- Mentor junior software engineers and security researchers on the team
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, similar technical discipline or equivalent practical experience, Graduate degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or similar technical discipline is preferred
- Proficient in C language and Linux development environment.
- Experience with network security product development, e.g. stateful firewall, DPI (deep packet inspection) engine, IPS, IDS, WAF
- Experience with large-scale and/or high-performance software design and architect
- Proficient in TCP/IP internals. Familiar with application protocols such as HTTP, TLS, DNS
- Verbal and written communication skills to work with multi-functional groups
- Teammate who brings a can-do attitude to a dynamic working environment
Additional Preferred Experiences:
- Experience with TLS decryption and/or Layer 7 protocols' decoding for security purposes
- Familiar with multi-threading programming and IPS mechanisms
- Experience or knowledge with antivirus, IoT security, threat intelligence, DNS security or internet security
- Familiar with Linux networking, netlink IPC, networking subsystem and/or netfilter subsystem
Our team designs and builds hardware devices, networking technologies, software, and services for delivering on customer needs and wants, innovating with opinion to anticipate customer requirements. Our designs are beautiful, customer appropriate, and functional.
The products you work on are new to Palo Alto Networks, so you are entrepreneurial and hands-on in your engineering approach while helping to craft a vision and being a key member to execute on that vision.
We contribute to Palo Alto Networks being the fastest growing cybersecurity company in the world by understanding the evolution of cyberattacks and designing products to keep users safer and more secure.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge the status quo of cybersecurity. We can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, please visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.