Principal Malware Researcher (Unit 42)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
Palo Alto Networks is growing our world-class threat intelligence team (Unit 42) and is seeking experienced malware researchers to expand our capability. As a Unit 42 Malware Researcher, you will be responsible for analyzing and reverse engineering new malware with a team of other researchers and threat analysts.
Palo Alto Networks has a widely deployed security platform that gives us access to information on a broad range of threats from around the world. We use this data to better protect our customers, but also as a source for our research to identify threat actors, their motivations and tactics. The team is tasked with combining our internal and open source data to produce intelligence products that others can use to better understand the threats they face.
Unit 42 Malware Researchers investigate new malware families to identify their functionality and purpose. They create tools to automate and expedite the analysis process and work with threat intelligence analysts to create a more complete picture of how the malware is used by adversaries.
- Analyze malware and attacker tools to assess their functionality, origin, and purpose
- Identify gaps in our collection and analysis processes and propose solutions to close them
- Produce written intelligence products based on internal and externally sourced data and information
- Develop small-scale tools to assist with the automation of collection and processing of data
- Present new research at conferences and at customer meetings
- Respond to Requests for Information (RFI) from our consumer organizations within Palo Alto Networks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and experience working on remote teams
- Expert knowledge of malware analysis, including both static and dynamic analysis, using tools such as IDA Pro, Hex-Rays Decompiler, debuggers (OllyDgb, WinDbg, etc.) and YARA
- Experience categorizing and longitudinally analyzing malware families
- Understanding of malware construction, usage, and detection techniques
- Understanding of security operations: perimeter defense, forensics, and incident response
Unit 42 is the global threat intelligence team at Palo Alto Networks. We believe threat intelligence should be free, shared, and available to all for the common good. We deliver high-quality, in-depth research on adversaries, malware families, and attack campaigns. Our analysts uncover and document adversary behaviors, and then share playbooks that give insight into the various tools, techniques and procedures threat actors execute to compromise organizations.
We share our findings so defenders everywhere can access elite threat intelligence. If you’re looking for a career with access to the brightest minds in cybersecurity – you’ve found it. Unit 42 is a recognized authority on cyberthreats, frequently sought out by enterprises and government agencies around the world. We have a hunger for researching, hunting out the world’s newest threats and sharing them with our industry to make the digital world a safer place.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.