Cloud Security Engineer
About Your team
The O’Reilly Media’s Cloud Operations Engineering team is made up of a diverse set of engineers tasked with managing the network infrastructure, developer tooling, and automation processes that allow our developers to focus on implementing business logic without worrying about how or where their code runs.
We’re a highly collaborative and supportive team that focuses on ensuring each member of the team is exposed to as much of our stack as possible. We believe in “raising the water level” so that each member of the team is given an opportunity to grow and to help others grow.
About the Job
The Cloud Security Operations Engineer’s primary responsibility will be managing our cloud security tooling and ensuring that our cloud infrastructure is not exposed to unwarranted risk. The role includes writing and maintaining our infrastructure automation code with a focus on cloud security as well as monitoring our cloud resources to ensure they’re both secure and stable.
Your day-to-day workload will vary but you can expect that some of the following tasks will be common occurrences:
- Helping to mitigate any CVEs as well as keeping our internal software up to date
- Using compliance tools to ensure that O’Reilly security standards are upheld
- Develop Infrastructure as Code using Terraform and Ansible
- Enforcing Principle of Least Privilege across all authenticated workflows
- Triaging issues across our platform’s microservices
- Write deployment automation code for our Cloud platform
- Actively recommend improvements to company infrastructure and security
- Keep apprised of new developments in cloud security
- Monitor systems, applications, services, and network performance/availability
- Recommend and implement user access and permissions policies for internal systems such as Vault or GCP APIs
- Be part of an on-call rotation
- Familiar with cloud infrastructure ( GCP, AWS, or Azure )
- Experience with Cloud security tools
- Experience with network and application pentesting tools such as metasploit or nmap
- Experience managing and supporting Linux-based environments
- Experience with Kubernetes and containers
- Experience with modern SaaS monitoring tools
- Excellent oral communication skills and good writing skills
- Knowledge of configuration management technologies such as Ansible or Chef
For Cloud Operations Security Engineers, we are interested in individuals with a solid knowledge of cloud infrastructure skills, and a sincere interest in education. We desire conscientious candidates who work comfortably in an autonomous fashion, self-driven agile environment. You should be willing and able to work with a small focused team to bring individual features to fruition, but also to work with the broader team of engineers to collaborate on initiatives that span the whole learning platform. We value colleagues who are helpful, respectful, communicate openly, and are always willing to do what’s best for our users.
We invite developers who value automated testing and welcome code reviews as an essential element of continuous learning. The people on our platform team have taken many traditional and non-traditional paths to the developer profession, and we welcome diverse teams that are bound together by a mutual love for learning.
- 4-year college degree in Computer Science or related field, or combination of relevant education and experience
- 3+ years of proven experience in Security Operations
- 3+ years experience in Linux System Administration
- 3+ years of proven experience with cloud infrastructure
About O’Reilly Media
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help you do just that.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/about/
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/diversity