Senior Acquisitions Editor
About Your Team
As a vital member of the content team, the Senior Acquisitions Editor is responsible for creating and executing on a content strategy for books, live trainings, and online conferences. You are responsible for identifying opportunities to create content that meets the needs of our audience - working professionals in tech savvy organizations. Your responsibilities include identifying and contracting with talent for the creation of books, live online trainings and our conference series. You will work closely with the platform product team, production, and our development and learning experience teams to deliver content that meets or exceeds O’Reilly’s quality standards.
About the Job
The Senior Acquisitions Editor works hand in hand with both existing talent and new talent to grow O’Reilly’s online training platform through careful content acquisitions, project development, and curation. A core responsibility for this role is the ability to identify new talent and expand our network of experts. Talent are subject matter experts who are also well-renowned trainers, writers, and speakers. Your responsibilities include identifying pain points of our customers, and contracting with talent to create content to address these pain points. You will be paired with another senior acquisitions editor to develop a program for the technology domain assigned to you to ensure we provide our customers with a multimodal approach to learning. Modalities include but are not limited to books, interactive content powered by Katacoda and Jupyter Notebooks, live online trainings, courses, and live events and you are charged with growing our interactive and structured learning offerings. Our interactive scenarios are lessons that appear in the browser alongside preconfigured development environments — no download or installation needed. Our interactive courses are self-paced, multimodal experiences that prepare learners for the new career roles by giving them hands-on instruction and practice with the most relevant skills. You will develop interactive scenarios and courses that are engaging and intuitive to help our learners achieve successful skills-based outcomes.
The fitting candidate for this position will have served in an editorial or content development capacity within a media or educational organization. This is a high-impact role with an opportunity to influence key content verticals for the company. This position reports to the Content Director.
- Build and execute on a content strategy with a focus on books, online training and conferences. Your core responsibilities include:
- identifying the topics most in need - the pain points of the audiences you serve
- identifying the specific tasks and skills the audience needs to be successful
- contracting with talent who are best positioned to shape and create this content
- collaborating with talent (and LX team and others) to develop the content
- monitoring the performance of your content in the platform and adjusting your strategy as necessary
- Work closely with various internal departments; editorial, online platform, and production staff; and externally, with talent.
- Demonstrate effective project management of multiple titles/projects and ensure that all projects release on time and within budget.
- Identify problem areas in content and create solutions.
- Identify new talent best suited to create content for our live training, events, and book programs.
- Become intimately familiar with content in the learning platform
- Work to understand the enterprise learning and training needs of our platform users
- Serve as an internal subject matter expert for the domain you manage
- Support sales and marketing with detailed content information during the marketing and sales processes.
You are a continuous learner, self-starter and problem solver with an interest to grow your skills as an acquisitions editor and content developer. Your ability to execute on a content strategy through collaboration and a willingness to learn the subject area is essential to your success.
- A strong interest in building learning content and training materials in a variety of formats including text, video, audio, and online training courses
- Strong project management skills
- Strong written, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work on tight deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, talent, product, design, production, sales and content colleagues
- Ability to maintain high professional standards in interacting with others—inside and outside of the company—at all times
- 4-year college degree in English, communications, computer science, education, or other relevant field, or a combination of relevant education and experience
- 8-10 years editorial or education experience with a demonstrated increase in responsibilities
Ideal candidate has experience writing strong lesson plans, building curriculum and/or experience teaching and working in a classroom.
About O’Reilly Media
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help you do just that.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/about/
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/diversity