Production Tools Team Lead
O'Reilly Media is looking for a tech-savvy, forward-thinking leader for our Production Tools team, which supports critical technology and tools used by O’Reilly talent and production teams to create a wide variety of content, including interactive scenarios, code challenges, and cloud labs made with our Katacoda platform and print/ebooks made with our Atlas authoring system.
About the Team
The Production Tools team is part of the Content Services division, which is responsible for the production, distribution, and maintenance of a wide array of learning products, including interactive content (scenarios, challenges, quizzes, courses), books, videos, and live training. The Tools team supports and collaborates directly with O’Reilly talent and many internal departments (including Editorial, Production, Product, and Engineering), helping them understand and use our critical production tools and workflows (including Katacoda and Atlas). Every member of the team is expected to remove obstacles and overcome pain points so talent can focus on creating successful learning outcomes. Our team is fully remote, with many of us located in the Boston area. We are a highly collaborative, tech-savvy group of production technology specialists that help each other deliver work that instills pride and helps people learn.
About the Job
In this role, you will lead a team that provides critical technical support to talent and internal O’Reilly departments working to create interactive and traditional learning products. You will be responsible for the structure, organization, maintenance, and evolution of critical technical tools that support the creation, publication, and distribution of O’Reilly’s content, including hands-on code maintenance and development.
- setting the direction of the team, ensuring a focus on talent, and removing technical barriers to content creation;
- helping talent understand the capabilities of our authoring tools and workflows (primarily via Atlas and the Katacoda platform) so they can efficiently produce high-quality learning products;
- aligning your team’s priorities with critical organizational goals;
- hands-on development to maintain, improve, and modernize our publishing tools, as well as close collaboration with counterparts in engineering to align with platform-engineering best practices;
- developing new tools and workflows to support business needs, including the addition of new types and styles of content to the publishing pipeline;
- serving as primary technical contact between the Content Services department, Engineering, IT Operations, and Product Management divisions;
- maintaining and evolving our publishing and distribution tools, workflows, and documentation, helping us remain at the forefront of modern publishing technology
- provide mentorship to junior Tools staff to help advance their career and expand team capabilities.
We’re looking for someone who is adept at applying their technical and interpersonal skills to lead a team that helps content creators overcome technical hurdles. You enjoy working directly in code to modernize and improve performance and to add new functionality in support of organizational goals. You critically examine and improve workflows to meet the needs of our authors and customers. You’re not necessarily an expert in all of the technologies our authors cover, but you know enough to grasp what an author wants to do and help them do it. You can quickly learn the basics of new technologies and effectively translate them as needed between teams to achieve the desired outcome. You recognize the importance of mentoring junior staff and keeping a collaborative, respectful environment. You’re a continuous learner, self-starter, and problem-solver with an interest in growing your technical skills and applying modern development best practices.
You should be comfortable working with HTML, XML, Python or Ruby, JSON, Markdown, and have strong familiarity with bash scripting, working on the command line, and using version control (such as Git or SVN). Having a basic understanding of cloud concepts (Amazon, GCP, Azure) or a willingness to teach yourself the basics will help you excel and advance in this role.
You’ll represent O’Reilly and our values to talent, customers, and internal teams--Working collaboratively and respectfully is a must. Success will require you to be highly organized and responsive to company goals, which can shift quickly to take advantage of new opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team to achieve organizational goals
- Experience in troubleshooting and problem-solving in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience with HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, JSON, Markdown, asciidoc
- Experience with version control systems (git/GitHub or GitLab preferred)
- Experience with ebook development/production (EPUB)
- Proficient in one or more scripting languages (Python, Ruby preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to learn and grasp new technologies quickly
- Ability to effectively and respectfully communicate and collaborate with talent and teams
- Strong ability and desire to learn new technologies
- Ability to multitask, adapt to changing workflows, tools, and business needs, and engage in creative problem-solving
- Strong written communication skills and an ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with modern engineering workflows like Agile or Kanban
- Familiarity with testing in a software development practice
- Familiarity with Docker or container basics
- Familiarity with basic principles of product management
- basic knowledge of one or more of the major cloud platform providers or a willingness to teach yourself the basics
- familiarity with Datadog and track.js
- familiarity with JIRA or similar ticketing system
- familiarity with custom environments, installing and updating packages
About the Company
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that are necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help them do just that.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/about/
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/diversity