Security Systems Engineer
About the Company
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that are necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help them do just that.
About Your team
The IT Operations team is a multi-faceted, multi-functional team consisting of Business Information, Systems, Development, Helpdesk, and Procurement squads. The team is geographically distributed throughout the United States and Europe. We are a highly productive and close-knit team providing value to every group in the business. We are constantly looking for new and innovative ways to propel the business and help our customers.
About the Job
Security permeates every facet of our work and across every squad on the IT Operations team. As a member of the ITOps team, you will be part of the Systems squad and work closely with our corporate security team to help plan and execute our risk management and security program.
As the Security Systems Engineer, you will:
- Install, maintain, configure and upgrade Operating System and application engine software
- Document system and application engine configurations and procedures
- Monitor and audit systems, applications, services, and network performance/availability
- Plan for security, system, network and software upgrades to satisfy security requirements
- Manage and maintain vulnerability programs across all devices in the organization
- Create procedures and standards for implementation of security policies
- Monitor and respond to internal customer requests reported via O’Reilly’s messaging and ticketing system
- Train internal users on security policies, procedures, and standards
- Actively recommend improvements to company infrastructure
- Monitor, repair, and implement cloud solutions
- Conduct security threat assessments of systems using applicable tools, techniques, frameworks, and audit standards
- Manage security threat assessments of systems using applicable tools, techniques, frameworks, and audit standards
- Assist in investigating security breaches and other cybersecurity incidents
- Work closely with development team to deploy and maintain application software
- Provide escalation support for helpdesk team
- Participate in the on-call rotation with other team members and provide 30 minutes or less response time
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science, or a combination of relevant education and experience
- 4+ years experience in security consulting, IT audit, network or application security support, LAN/WAN, and a multi-platform environment
- Excellent technical skills. You’ve managed firewalls, routers, IDS/IDP devices in the wild
- Knowledge of at least one programming language such as Python or Bash
- Experience with cloud-based system implementation and technologies.
- Familiar with Cloud Security models and threats
- Experience with Incident Response procedures
- Experience with penetration testing tools and processes
- Experience with private and public cloud technologies such as VMware, AWS, and GCP
- Expert knowledge of one operating system (Linux, Ubuntu preferred) and working knowledge of a second operating system such as Microsoft Windows
- Experience using Microsoft Active Directory
- Expert knowledge of at least one SQL database system such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or similar cloud database systems
- Advanced knowledge of Internet technologies including REST API, TCP/IP, DNS, HTTPS
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and priorities for personal and project time management with little supervision.
- Ability to solve technical and system issues with little to no supervision
- Ability to work in a highly cooperative team environment with shifting priorities
- Excellent oral communication skills and good writing skills
Nice to have
- Knowledge of configuration management technologies such as Puppet, Terraform, or Ansible
- Fundamental knowledge of web processing/design and software development
- Working knowledge of network technologies including Ethernet, VLAN, BGP, ACL’s, and security best practices
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.Learn More