Digital Publishing Specialist
The Digital Publishing Specialist plays a key support role in O'Reilly's Publishing Services division. Working within the Tools group, the Specialist provides support for production staff through all stages of their workflow, assists authors and editors in preparing content for production, and maintains and improves tools used within production and across the company for access to and manipulation of book files and other content. The Specialist also performs an important role in the interactive content program, providing technical support and guidance to talent and staff in a quickly evolving environment. We're looking for someone who is bright, self-motivated, passionate about publishing, and eager to learn new technologies and next-generation publishing workflows. Prior programming experience a huge plus, but willing to train the right candidate.
- Convert book content among multiple file formats using scripts and automation tools
- Provide support for production staff, editorial staff, and authors in use of in-house publishing and interactive learning software
- Fulfill internal and external requests for content and customizations
- Assist production staff in automating batch editing tasks
- Monitor and respond to support queue
- Perform quality control checks on author manuscripts
- Troubleshoot production issues to ensure timely release of books and interactive learning products
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong ability and desire to learn new technologies.
- Ability to multitask, adapt to changing workflows and tools, and engage in creative problem solving.
- Experience in troubleshooting and problem solving in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience with Asciidoc/Markdown, (X)HTML5, CSS, XML, XSLT, and LaTeX or strong willingness to learn.
- Experience with version control systems (git/GitHub preferred).
- Experience with ebook development/production (EPUB) a big plus.
- Proficient in one or more scripting languages (Python or Ruby preferred), or a strong aptitude for programming and a willingness to learn.
- Attention to detail.
- Service orientation toward helping others use technology to accomplish their work.
- Strong written communication skills and an ability to explain technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- 1-3 years professional experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience)
- Related experience in a technology or publishing organization
About O’Reilly Media
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help you do just that.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/about/
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/diversity