Software Engineer - Android
About Your Team
Our tight-knit and collaborative mobile apps team has a strong user focus and cares a great deal about high-quality software. We value colleagues who are helpful, respectful, communicate openly, and are always willing to do what’s best for our users. We keep a close eye on customer feedback to make sure we’re delivering useful, timely improvements. The team is broadly distributed across the US in multiple cities and timezones and constantly encourages each other to deliver work that instills pride and fulfillment.
About the Job
We are looking for a thoughtful and experienced Android engineer to help grow an application that supports a user base of millions every day in their pursuit of knowledge and learning. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of modern Android development and will have shipped or supported an Android application with an active user community. The candidate will be routinely implementing features, fixing bugs, performing maintenance, and troubleshooting problems within the codebase. Most changes made will be accompanied by tests to confirm their desired behavior. Software engineers will submit code for review by their peers in the form of pull requests, and will regularly review code by their peers.
In a normal week, as an Android Engineer you might:
- Develop a new feature from a user story using Kotlin and/or Java
- Collaborate with product managers to define clear requirements, deliverables, and milestones
- Team up with other groups within O’Reilly to leverage experience and consult on mobile engineering best practices
- Review a pull request from a coworker and pair on a tricky problem
- Provide a consistent and reliable estimate to assess risk for a project manager
- Learn about a new technology and present it to the team
- Identify opportunities to improve our apps through research and proof-of-concepts
- Work iteratively with UX designers to create user-centric solutions
- Help QA and troubleshoot a pesky production problem and push up a hotfix
- Participate in agile process and scrum ceremonies
Why you'll love working on our team:
- You'll be working for a company that embraces and pursues new technology
- You'll be working with a leadership team that trusts and engages its employees
- We believe in giving engineers the tools and hardware that they need to do their job
- Competitive salary with great benefits (health/dental/vision insurance and 401k)
What we like to see from any Android Engineer joining the Android team:
- Proficiency and fluidity with Kotlin and/or Java, the Android SDK and Android Studio
- Some experience with a backend server technology such as Node or Python
- An innate fidelity for Material Design
- Experience with offline storage, local databases, and persistence best practices
- Experience with unit testing
- Strong drive to experiment, learn and improve your skills
- Respect for the craft—you write self-documenting code with modern techniques
- Great written communication skills—we do a lot of work asynchronously in Slack and Google Docs
- Empathy for our users—a willingness to spend time understanding their needs and difficulties is central to the team
- Desire to be part of a compact, fun, and hard-working team
Not required, but for bonus points:
- Experience working in a distributed team
- Contributions to open source projects
- Knack for benchmarking and optimization
- Experience with RESTful JSON endpoints and concurrency/multithreading
- Masterful use of emoji and gifs
- 2+ years of professional mobile engineering (or equivalent) experience
- Experience in developing, submitting, and releasing mobile apps on Google Play Store
- Ability to work in a self-driven, autonomous fashion
About the Company
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help them do just that.
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.