Product Designer, Core Content (Platform)
The Product Design team at O'Reilly focuses on delivering highly impactful outcomes for millions of enterprise learners, teachers, creators, and content partners at all touchpoints across the learning journey. We're a cross-disciplinary group of thinkers and doers driven by a vision to work on stuff that matters and create more value than we capture.
Join our mission to change the world by spreading the knowledge of innovators—through design.
About the Role
We're looking for an experienced Product Designer to join our growing team to refine and define the next generation of core content experiences on the O'Reilly learning platform. In the Product Designer role, you'll work across multiple levels of design—from structure to the surface—creating product experiences that meet the needs of our B2C and B2B users. The digital landscape you'll work in consists of our primary reader application, video player, courseware, collections, and global search.
O'Reilly's core content experiences are fundamental to our users engaging with our extensive catalog of text, audio, and video content. These product experiences play a significant role in the learner journey, and you'll have a considerable influence in shaping the direction we go with them. But don't worry, you won't be working in a silo. The product design team is obsessed with the entire user experience across the platform and works together to ensure it's delightful and harmonious wherever you are.
As the Product Designer, Core Content, you will:
- Work with a cross-functional group of product managers, engineers, and data scientists to understand how (and why) our customers engage with core content experiences and help shape solutions they need to succeed
- Create and communicate user-centered design solutions—at all fidelities—to teammates and stakeholders, using storyboards, flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
- Work at different levels of zoom across core content capabilities, from highly conceptual to tactical iterations
- Advocate and perform user research—both qualitative and quantitative—to help identify user motivation and needs and to validate solution ideas
- Help product management define, monitor, and report on data-driven feedback loops for features you ship
Let's talk if you have
- 4+ years of real-world product design experience, Enterprise SaaS or E-Learning preferred
- A portfolio showcasing work you have shipped that portrays a balance of process, aesthetics, usability, and outcomes met
- Experience designing responsive, consumer-facing content-consumption interfaces (e.g., reading apps, video services, linear and nonlinear learning courses)
- Worked with and contributed to a shared, component-based design system
- Experience working and prototyping with Figma
- A passion for making the complex, simple, yet accessible
- A deep understanding of UX best practices in responsive web applications
- Strong visual awareness and sensibilities
- Excellent communication skills (speaking, writing, presenting), and consider yourself a continuous learner
- You have experience working with large and variable sets of media and metadata (books, videos, audio)
- Experience designing for search engines
- You're proficient with the latest Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1)
- You have led a qualitative user research project end-to-end, from recruiting through reporting
Include these with your application
- A link to your online portfolio or equivalent presentation of work samples (required)
About the Company
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help them do just that.
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.