About Your team
The O’Reilly Media’s Cloud Operations Engineering team is made up of a diverse set of engineers tasked with managing the network infrastructure, developer tooling, and automation processes that allow our developers to focus on implementing business logic without worrying about how or where their code runs.
We’re a highly collaborative and supportive team that focuses on ensuring each member of the team is exposed to as much of our stack as possible. We believe in “raising the water level” so that each member of the team is given an opportunity to grow and to help others grow.
About the Job
The Cloud Operations Engineer position encompasses a broad range of responsibilities that include writing and maintaining our infrastructure automation code, monitoring our platform Kubernetes clusters, databases, and more for anomalies or errors, ensuring the security of our cloud resources. We are also responsible for creating tooling that eases our developers interaction with Cloud APIs and other aspects of our stack.
Your day-to-day workload will vary but you can expect that some of the following tasks will be common occurrences:
- Using Datadog to debug issues in our Istio service mesh
- Writing or debugging a Terraform module to create or update infrastructure
- Adding a feature to the Python CLI tool we use to manage our Terraform
- Triaging an issue in a microservice
- Write deployment automation code for our Cloud platform.
- Actively recommend improvements to company infrastructure
- Keep apprised of new developments in cloud solutions and educate other team members on related skills
- Document system and application engine configurations and procedures
- Monitor systems, applications, services, and network performance/availability
- Execute on implementation and execution of project plans
- Establish and recommend policies on system use and services
- Work with the team to help maintain the overall security of the Platform
- Be part of an on-call rotation
- Familiar with cloud infrastructure ( GCP, AWS, or Azure )
- Experience managing and supporting Linux-based environments
- Experience with Kubernetes and containers
- Experience with modern SaaS monitoring tools.
- Familiarity with building API’s or microservices.
- Excellent oral communication skills and good writing skills
- Knowledge of at least one SQL database system such as PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Knowledge of configuration management technologies such as Ansible or Chef
For Cloud Operations Engineers, we are interested in individuals with a solid knowledge of cloud infrastructure skills, and a sincere interest in education. We desire conscientious candidates who work comfortably in an autonomous fashion, self-driven agile environment. You should be willing and able to work with a small focused team to bring individual features to fruition, but also to work with the broader team of engineers to collaborate on initiatives that span the whole learning platform. We value colleagues who are helpful, respectful, communicate openly, and are always willing to do what’s best for our users.
We invite developers who value automated testing and welcome code reviews as an essential element of continuous learning. The people on our platform team have taken many traditional and non-traditional paths to the developer profession, and we welcome diverse teams that are bound together by a mutual love for learning.
- 4-year college degree in Computer Science or related field, or combination of relevant education and experience
- 5+ years experience in Linux System Administration
- 3+ years of proven experience with cloud infrastructure
About O’Reilly Media
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help you do just that.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/about/
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/diversity