Group Product Manager, Core Systems
About Your team
O'Reilly is looking to bring on an outstanding Group Product Manager that cares deeply about creating digital learning experiences that help our users excel, highlight the depth of our talent networks and help prepare the world for what’s coming next. Our product team is focused on growing our SaaS business by helping over 2.5M professionals learn by doing; whether that is reading a book from a practitioner, trying out code in a sandbox, or attending a live training. Your role will be to manage a thematically focused group of product managers to execute on optimizing the platform's core systems that include accounts, subscriptions, integrations, and content metadata. Join our growing team as we take the platform to the next level of growth.
About the Job
Reporting to the Senior Director of Product, the Group Product Manager focuses on executing strategy and managing a skilled team that owns the systems and experiences that are critical to the platform functionality for our customers, both internal and external. Our goal is to continue to take our systems to the next level by providing smoother onboarding, enhanced integrations, more robust reporting, and greater flexibility to experiment with features that optimize for growth, just to name a few interesting areas. Our customers rely on these core systems to manage their accounts, their permissions, and their day to day access to our platform which is critical to expanding our ability to be the best learning platform for technical teams. You will be part of a larger product team that aligns user and growth needs with overall platform strategies. You will have to be flexible with your tactics and direction to make sure that customer, departmental, and company goals are achieved.
As a part of this role, you’ll work very closely with the Senior Director of Product to understand the company vision and how the platform strategy fits into the long-term objectives for the company. You will work with and learn from a wide range of practitioners from disciplines in engineering, sales, experience design, product marketing, project management, finance, data science, and more. You’ll apply these disciplines to achieve your product and business goals with the team.
- You are flexible and able to shift between a strategic and execution mindset.
- You thrive in a working environment that requires outside of the box thinking, spanning different disciplines.
- You are a master facilitator in bringing vision, strategy, and execution to life managing multiple stakeholders including engineering, UX/UI, sales, and marketing.
- You know how to build enough structure in your day-to-day to deliver, but know how to adapt to changing circumstances.
- You have the ability to achieve strategic goals and evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends in an innovative and fast-paced environment. Excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- You can guide the team in best practices for SaaS development, with a focus on measurement and experimentation.
- Rapidly break down objectives into plans with specific, actionable steps. Clearly communicate and track execution to report up to stakeholders.
- Work with engineering and design to define feature work, and help oversee the execution of that work through design, development, launch, and go-to-market activities through your team of product managers.
- Identify KPIs in every space you are involved in to measure and drive the team’s efforts forward.
- Increase customer engagement via the strategies described here, which will also be measured by our departmental KPIs that roll up to our corporate goals.
- Directly manage 3-5 product managers in domains that may include subscriptions, integrations, insights/reporting, and user management to name a few. Some of this domain will be determined based on candidate expertise and interest.
- You have a bias toward action, always willing to jump in and lend a helping hand.
- You’re able to synthesize information, form a hypothesis, and defend it against scrutiny.
- You deeply empathize with our customers who are life-long learners, building technical skills.
- You’re able to communicate clearly in whatever way the situation calls for – in writing, with visuals and data, and in person.
- You’re able to put our operating principles into practice, and draw from them as a source of inspiration and guidance.
- Minimum 5 years of product development experience required, strong track record of delivery and ability to set clear expectations with stakeholders.
- 3+ years of experience managing other product managers.
- Technical background or prior experience as an engineer. Strong ability to translate technical speak to business stakeholders, while also understanding the impacts to user experience.
- SaaS product development experience required. Plus for prior subscription, account, API integration experience.
- Strong familiarity with SaaS operational processes and enterprise structure.
- Ability to manage challenging customer relationships, work with sales, and manage expectations with clear communication.
- Basic working knowledge of scrum development methods required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Interest and awareness of the latest developer trends and technologies; technology savvy nice to have.
About O’Reilly Media
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help you do just that.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/about/
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.
Learn more: https://www.oreilly.com/diversity