Senior Server Engineer
The Senior Server Engineer directly implements and maintains computing systems that provide critical business data and enterprise applications which facilitate all Optimas business services, including those which may be external-facing and direct to the consumer. Failure to maintain operational health can result in an immediate disruption to business capability and a loss of brand reputation.
This position engineers new solutions and leads changes to the environment, primarily of technical nature but inclusive of the relevant business processes. This position also maintains a healthy computing environment day-to-day with appropriate access, security, availability, performance, capacity, and data protection for productivity, efficiency and business continuity.
This position has the ability to make decisions and changes which immediately impact global company operations. Although significant decisions and changes are planned and approved in advance, quick action may be taken without review or approval when responding to an urgent incident.
If you are looking for a fast paced environment with lots of opportunity for personal and career growth then this is the ideal place for you!
This position demonstrates the key responsibilities shared by all IT infrastructure team members:
- Understand most technologies in the environment to engineer integrated solutions and adaptively provide operational support as needed
- Update and leverage centralized information management and workflow systems (e.g., CMDB, ticket systems, architecture diagrams, standardized operating procedures, etc.)
- Resolve escalated incidents, including 24x7 as appropriate
- Drive operational alignment with the Service Desk and User Productivity teams proactively
- Prioritize work based on input from other IT teams to drive solutions that meet business needs and optimize operations
- Seek out and usher in new solutions to meet business needs and optimize operational efficiency
- Own all engineering aspects of multiple core technologies
- Deploy solutions in partnership with IT peers to minimize customer impact, providing documentation and training to successfully transition operational responsibilities
- Create project plans, lead projects, and complete project tasks on-time
- Manage external technology partners and vendors
- Build and manage computing solutions on public cloud environments
- Install and configure technology hardware and software on-premises
- Manage administrative rights, accurate inventory, and consistent configurations
- Implement and manage solutions for orchestration, performance and capacity management
- Integrate solutions and automate as much as possible
- Proactively provision resources to ensure capacity and performance
- Lead the patching and upgrading of systems regularly to minimize business risk
- Ensure a healthy disaster recovery capability
- Identify and communicate security vulnerabilities and other business risks
The ideal candidate should have the following competencies:
- Strategic Vision
- Building organizational capacity
- Results driven
- Embrace change
- Collaboration and Influence
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Customer value and Market focus
Skills and Qualifications:
This position is, at its core, a technical position. A special expertise is required in servers, networks, and security, and the supporting infrastructure. All IT positions, however, must perform as a team and deliver outstanding service to the users, our customers. This requires procedures, initiative, ownership, cooperation, urgency, and adaptation. As a service owner, this position needs to build and maintain standards and policies, often leveraging peers and external resources to support the environment at a large scale.
- University degree (preferably in Computer Science) and 7 years’ experience or 10 years’ relevant work experience
- 5 years’ experience building and managing computing solutions in public clouds
- 5 years’ experience in Linux server operating systems, server hardware, and virtualization
- 5 years’ experience in networking and security
- Success working in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment
- VMware VCP, MCSE or similar certifications are a plus
- Knowledge of specific technical products and services in use at Optimas
- Knowledge of the DevOps culture, methodologies and technologies
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy laws and practices is a plus.
- Knowledge / Experience:
- AWS, Azure, Google Cloud or similar cloud computing platforms
- Orchestration and automation, programming and policies, such as Ansible, KACE, Spacewalk
- Ubuntu or RedHat Linux and Microsoft Windows operating systems
- VMWare, OpenStack, Docker, and other virtualization technologies
- Python, Perl, PowerShell, and other programming languages for automation or integration
- rsync, Robocopy and similar data replication solutions
- F5 BigIP, Cisco Meraki, CheckPoint firewalls, and related network/security systems
- Global WAN routing, DNS, DHCP, IPSEC tunnels, and related network services
- Infrastructure services and applications, such as Google G Suite, Okta, Active Directory, Citrix
- IBM, Dell and similar server hardware and firmware
To Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Optimas does not accept unsolicited CVs or applications from agencies. Optimas is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs or applications and explicitly reserve its right to contact candidates presented in such unsolicited CV or application.
Optimas OE Solutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Optimas OE Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.