Director, Americas Procurement - VAS (Value Added Solutions)
We are seeking an enthusiastic, highly driven and proven Director, Americas Procurement - VAS (Value Added Solutions) to join our dynamic organization.
The Director, Americas Procurement role sits at the core of our sourcing and category management teams, driving Revenue growth across North and South America.
In this role, you will lead the transformation of the business’ current procurement strategy, culture, systems, processes, practice, and organization to align with new market penetration strategies in non-core, growth sectors of Health Care, Construction, Appliances, Consumer and Home products, Transportation, and Industrial Market segments to name a few. You will lead the development of business sourcing & supplier strategy, manage large-scale procurement projects, and transform teams responsible for negotiating price, scope, rebate programs and terms with suppliers around the world (US, Asia and Mexico). You will be asked to balance strategy development with the tactical execution necessary to execute cost reduction projects through advanced contract negotiation, process changes, and implementation of sustainable cost control.
The successful candidate will have strong analytical, tactical, and procurement domain knowledge in the specific supplier communities we seek; you will have requisite leadership, style, experience, and cache to deliver corporate transformation with the vision, influence, inclusiveness, and humble confidence necessary to secure the trust of senior leadership and working level teams alike.
A candidate for this position must be a creative problem-solver who thrives in a dynamic environment and uses change management to guide and coach others to execute with speed and purpose.
The Director, Americas Procurement will be responsible of the following:
- Transformation – lead new business pursuit processes and teams to compete more effectively in non-core Auto and Truck market sectors (a $200M supplier spend).
- Project Management – Lead sourcing projects and initiatives by working closely with key stakeholders. Identify stakeholder expectations and ensure that the sourcing project objectives, scope, and deliverables meet stakeholder expectations and that projects are delivered on-time and on-budget.
- Integration – Collaborate with sourcing counterparts in the core Auto and Truck sectors to align spend, process, demand forecasting, inventory management/reduction, and common supplier management where beneficial to the greater good of Optimas’ supply chain management system and productivity.
- Negotiations - Ability to negotiate complex global contracts, particularly in China/Asia.
- Information Resource – Provide stakeholders with relevant and timely market trends and analyses such as commodity and currency trends.
- Risk Management - Create and implement major material price movement strategy methodology including hedging, forward buying, and cost protection.
- Competitive Awareness - Create and establish external benchmark analysis including gap analysis, effectiveness versus competitor supplier management indicators, and required actions to achieve functional competitive advantage.
- Spend Productivity - Design and implement strategies to rationalize the supplier base and maximize the value of spend.
- Supplier Quality - Partner with Optimas’ Quality organization to drive continuous improvement in supplier quality management and onboarding qualification & certifications
- Customer Discretion - Managing Supplier/Customer interactions, ensuring clear communication to build & maintain a strong but confidential relationship between Optimas’ customers and suppliers if tested by Optimas’ customers.
- Day to Day Leadership - Ensuring daily Supply Chain team activities are completed on-time in full and in-line with the team processes, including buy/expedite reports, order acknowledgment, order book management and delivery tracking
- Operational Productivity - Implement programs to drive procurement cost productivity while enhancing service levels.
- Mexico – Build procurement capabilities in Mexico for Mexico, including technical capabilities to review drawings and evaluate best supplier options.
- Travel: Domestic and Foreign Travel is required.
The ideal candidate should have the following competencies:
- Change agent – lead the vision and cultural change necessary to shift the practices of procurement activities in new market sectors of $1B business.
- Drawing Reading - Technical drawing review capabilities for assessment of where to send customer RFQ’s, or return portions of the RFQ for additional clarification, or make reasonable assumptions how to move forward in a risk-managed manner while supporting customer response expectations.
- Regulatory and Compliance- - having and understanding of ROHS, REACH and Country of origin requirements
- Logistics- possessing knowledge of both domestic and offshore freight requirements
- Adaption - Ability to translate incomplete customer RFQ’s into a plan of action to his/her team of direct reports.
- Network - An awareness of and access to supplier networks in targeted market segments with corresponding personal and professional contact lists.
- Strategic Vision – Ability to decide between the needs of the day versus trend curves affecting the long-term success of the business
- International Supply Chain Expertise – Personal knowledge of and experience working with supplier options across Asia and Mexico.
- Results driven.
- Collaboration and Influence.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
Operational Responsibilities (through team of direct reports)
- Identify if an existing supplier exists.
- Qualify new suppliers.
- Pre-select suppliers to send RFQ’s.
- Send RFQ packages to suppliers.
- Receive supplier quotes.
- Negotiate supplier prices.
- Select winning supplier.
- Participate in online auctions when necessary.
- Place purchase orders.
- Change suppliers is needed.
- Execute part change requirements with suppliers.
- Expedite part deliveries.
- Lead freight and logistics solutions.
- Manage buys to stated inventory limits.
- Manage excess and obsolete costs to stated levels.
- Manage supplier contracts and/or strategic agreements
- Lead supplier score-carding and performance management.
- Track Optimas wins and losses, take corrective actions.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in a strategic sourcing role within a Fastener or related industry…. fifteen (15) years preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university …. Business or Technical preferred.
- Certified Procurement/Purchasing Manager preferred.
- IFI – International Fastener Institute -having knowledge of standards in the fastener industry
- Demonstrated management experience leading teams of 5 or more.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Sense of urgency and comfort working in a fast-paced environment with a variety of simultaneous projects.
- Solid analytical skills to understand market dynamics and business requirements.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to convey ideas and processes.
- Drive, determination, and a self-disciplined approach to achieving results.
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and quickly; ability to manage more than one initiative at once.
- Ability to perform analysis and interpret data into actionable steps.
- International experience in managing offshore sourcing (preferably in Asia and Mexico regions)
- Focused on results – willingness to do what it takes to get the job done right
- Strong work ethic – self-starter able to demonstrate strong proactive approach and self-initiative; persistent and tenacious; excessive level of commitment and dedication to meet aggressive deadlines with high-quality results.
- Demonstrated flexibility and open-mindedness around change; positive, can-do attitude
- Strong business acumen – strong financial, strategic, operational and leadership skills. Ability to understand business models and key drivers quickly.
- Ability to see the “big picture” and use quantitative and qualitative data to create strategies.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and prior experience utilizing Business Intelligence tools is a plus.
To Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Optimas does not accept unsolicited CVs or applications from agencies. Optimas is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs or applications and explicitly reserve its right to contact candidates presented in such unsolicited CV or application.
Optimas OE Solutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Optimas OE Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training