Senior Flight Dynamics Engineer
Job ID: #378
Omitron is seeking a highly qualified candidate to provide spacecraft navigation expertise in support of NASA’s Flight Dynamics Facility (FDF). This facility provides operational flight dynamics support to 35+ satellites in various orbital regimes, evaluates ground- and space-based tracking data, identifies and troubleshoots spacecraft and ground station anomalies, certifies tracking stations, provides launch and early orbit support, and performs a variety of navigation-related analyses. Spacecraft supported include the Hubble Space Telescope (HST), Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission, Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS), Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), as well as the upcoming launch of James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), among many others.
Reports to: Project Manager, FDF Operations
Specific areas of support will include:
- Performing, evaluating, and enhancing daily orbit determination and prediction for FDF-supported spacecraft
- Providing launch and early orbit navigation support
- Overseeing and conducting navigation-related analyses, introducing new technologies and/or techniques to the FDF
- Documenting and communicating analysis work via technical conference papers, journal publications, as well as informal forums with the navigation team and associated customers
- Evaluating current FDF navigation processes to identify possible improvements and promote advancements and enhancements
- Participating in tracking network validation, calibration, and/or certification of ground stations
- Acting as spacecraft flight dynamics subject matter expert
- Providing senior-level leadership and mentoring of junior technical staff
Some travel may be required. Occasional off-hours support will be required.
Hybrid operations environment and remote telework support opportunities.
Job Location: Greenbelt, MD
- Experience in flight dynamics for a variety of orbit regimes
- Thorough understanding of both batch least squares and Kalman filter estimation
- In-depth knowledge of spacecraft navigation and orbital mechanics concepts
- Proven expertise with satellite orbit determination (OD) and OD tools
- Proven expertise with orbit design and modeling tools such as STK
- Experience designing and conducting comprehensive orbit analyses
- Ability to apply problem solving methodologies to complex and ambiguous problems
- Must have excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Experience utilizing satellite tracking data, including GPS, radiometric, and/or optimetric measurements
- Familiarization with NASA tracking networks – Space Network, Near Earth Network, and/or Deep Space Network – including operations and tracking observation types
- Knowledge of spacecraft communications and ground systems architecture
- Experience with the following orbit determination tools: ODTK, GMAT, FreeFlyer, Goddard Trajectory Determination System (GTDS), Monte, and GEODyn
- Experience in a spacecraft operations environment
- Experience developing tools in Python, Perl, and/or Matlab
- Experience with large scale data analytics and application/development of new algorithms for evaluation and automated processing
- Experience with Windows and Linux environments
Required Experience: 10+ years professional experience. Master’s degree counts as 2 years professional experience.
Required Degree: Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related discipline. Master’s degree desired.
US citizenship required
For compliance with new Executive Order 14042 regarding Government Contractors, you will be required to provide documentation of Full Coronavirus Vaccination Status to Omitron, and to the designated personnel of the subcontracting, contracting and/or federal officials upon their request.
Omitron is an Aerospace Engineering and Information Technology small business firm headquartered in Beltsville, Maryland with a regional office located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Since 1984 Omitron has provided excellence in engineering services and product development to government and industry customers for both civilian and military aerospace programs.
Omitron recognizes that outstanding people are the key to our success. Our goal is to select highly qualified and motivated individuals and provide them an environment necessary to stimulate and nurture engineering and business objectives. Omitron offers its employees competitive salaries, a full benefits package, and excellent career growth opportunities. We welcome talented professionals who wish to take advantage of the opportunities we offer.
Omitron is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. We strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities and veterans to apply. EEO/AA / E-Verify Participation