Personal Umbrella Underwriter
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
Position Description: The Personal Lines Underwriter is responsible for reviewing, maintaining and implementing underwriting philosophy, strategy and guidelines for personal lines of business for all states while working exclusively with wholesale brokerages. They are responsible for handling underwriting edit referrals, as well as assigned risk reviews, including making and implementing underwriting decisions on new business, renewals and endorsements.
- Participates in agency management activities including building, maintaining and managing producer and customer relationships.
- Communicates with agents and other company personnel with regards to insureds, policies, coverages, etc. either by phone or written correspondence.
- Makes informed and appropriate underwriting decisions based on information provided by clients and other sources.
- Collaborates with underwriters, operations, claims and marketing.
- Orders and analyzes investigation reports on present or potential insureds.
- Provides phone coverage support to meet client service levels.
- Performs other related duties as required to achieve the goals and objectives of the company, as well as department.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively and independently manage workload while exhibiting sound judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of personal lines coverage/terms a must.
- Proficient in computer programs used for completing the duties described above, such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Team oriented.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company-sensitive data.
- Ability to be creative and adaptable in a changing business environment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3+ years of Personal Lines Underwriting experience
- Previous agency or company underwriting experience and appropriate insurance coursework is preferred.