Education: Midwifery degree of 3 years OR nursing degree of 3 years plus midwifery course of 1 year. Prefer Western qualified or experienced.
Experience: Minimum 2 years of work experience
License: Prefer HAAD passer or HAAD Licensed or HAAD Exam exempted candidates.
Brief Description: The Midwife is responsible for performing a variety of duties which will assist with the care of women and their newborns during the antepartum, intra partum and postpartum periods at Oasis Hospital.
- Provide a high standard of midwifery care for mothers and their babies.
- Assume accountability for professional practice, working within the policies and procedures of the hospital.
- Support and participate in programs for professional development.
- Works within scope of practice, professional guidelines and policy and procedure.
- Unit management responsibilities:
- To participate in improvement initiatives within the organization.
- To participate in change management programs within the organization.
- To meet and exceed customer needs through the development and promotion of key principles that support customer satisfaction.
- To deal appropriately with complaints when necessary.
- To assess risk, report incidents and to participate in Risk Management processes.
- To be aware of hospital fire policy and emergency procedures.
- To accept additional responsibilities as requested by the supervisor.
- To attend relevant meetings.
- To accept responsibility for day to day management of the clinical area as directed by the supervisor.
- To escalate concerns regarding patient / staff safety to the unit supervisor.
- Awareness of health and safety principles related to the work area.
- Clinical responsibilities:
- To participate in clinical governance, quality and audit programs.
- To maintain a high standard of midwifery care for mothers and babies, working within evidence-based guidelines and hospital policies.
- To communicate effectively and appropriately within the departmental / wider team.
- To promote normality in pregnancy, birth and the puerperium.
- To be responsible for the safe custody and administration of all drugs and medications in accordance with hospital and Ministry of Health regulations.
- To maintain accurate, contemporaneous, legible and objective medical records.
- To maintain and be proficient in the use of emergency equipment within the unit.
- To be able to efficiently and effectively respond to obstetric and neonatal emergencies.
- To promote breastfeeding and comply with World Health Organization (WHO) "Baby Friendly Hospital Initiatives" (BFHI) guidelines.
- To comply with hospital policies regarding Infection Control.
- To ensure manual handling principles are adhered to with regard to personal back safety whilst promoting safe handling practices for the client.
- To promote health education and provide information to mothers and their families regarding all relevant aspects of care.
- To maintain patient confidentiality.
- Personal / Professional development responsibilities:
- To attend mandatory / voluntary in-service education programs.
- To maintain BLS / NRP licensure.
- To take an active part in the induction and orientation of new staff and provide mentorship as required.
- To attain relevant competencies/skills. To ensure knowledge and practice is kept up to date and develop relevant clinical skills.
- Key skills:
- Ability to deal with emotionally charged situations.
- Strong observational skills.
- Highly developed physical skills, high degree of precision required for palpation, suturing and assisting with a woman's birth.
- Analytical and judgmental skills developed to a high degree to appropriately investigate, analyze and assess midwifery care.
- Organize own workload / time effectively.
- Appropriate empathic discernment.