Website Marketing Specialist
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
New York Road Runner’s Marketing and Communications department is charged with managing the organization’s creative services, editorial, advertising, PR, pro athlete, broadcast and video, and digital operations. The team’s efforts build upon NYRR’s recent brand initiative and Run for Life platform as the organization seeks to tell the bigger NYRR story of huge positive impact; our ongoing focus on broadening our engagement with runners of all types; our efforts to strengthen our alignment with, and support of, our corporate partners; and our opportunity to unlock the power of our community in supporting our youth-and cause-related efforts.
About the Position
The ideal candidate for this role is both creative and meticulous, always thinking of new ways to create the best possible web experience for our runners, while also keeping a close eye for typos, broken links, and timely updates. The Specialist will report up to the Director but will nonetheless be trusted to oversee and execute projects on their own, with minimal handholding and oversight. The person who takes on this role will have the opportunity to evolve and grow the website to improve and deepen our runners’ relationship with the organization.
The role requires editorial judgement and diplomatic decision making. NYRR’s website is responsible for communicating a lot of different messages: It promotes our races and our coaching products, it clarifies logistical processes about those races and products, it celebrates the diversity and experience of the running community, it tells the story of NYRR’s mission-driven work, it supports fundraising and membership, and much more. The person we ultimately hire for this role will be comfortable with and experienced at balancing multiple priorities.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Manage and execute web edits and updates from start through completion, including planning, execution, copywriting, project managing visual assets, and reporting on performance
- Develop and own an insight- and data-based optimization strategy for web performance
- Develop and execute plans across events, races, products, initiatives, and general programming
- Work with colleagues across the digital team to map out a user journey that takes runners from awareness to acquisition and beyond
- Oversee and lead internal NYRR communication on the web editorial calendar
- Occasional copywriting and editing
- Occasional attendance of in-person races to assist social media content gathering
- 3-5 years of web content management and UX experience required
Education & Certifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, English Literature, Creative Writing, a related discipline, or equivalent professional experience
Skills and Attributes:
- Extensive experience working with content management software, preferably Sitecore
- Expertise in SEO, SEM, and Google Analytics
- Expertise in analytics and a/b testing, familiarity with testing software such as Hotjar
- Fluency in HTML and CSS
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer