Director, Event Staffing and Training
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people, and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
Our Human Resources department supports the staff at NYRR in numerous ways, including managing recruiting efforts, providing benefits, managing performance and compensation, and providing opportunities for professional training and development. The HR team works closely with each department to understand their specific needs and works to meet those needs. The department ensures that NYRR provides an environment in which employees can innovate and succeed in their positions.
About the Position
This position will report to the Head of Talent Acquisition, with the core responsibility of mobilizing part-time event associates and contract labor to make the mission visible to the city of New York by delivering the highest-quality events year-round. The Event Staffing and Training team works cross functionally to meet the needs of the program participants and external partners to contribute towards the well-being of the community.
- Demonstrate a high level of conceptual and strategic thinking to establish goals, objectives, and activities in conjunction with established organizational policies and procedures. This includes the ability to assess and implement strategic workflow processes and procedures that maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of staffing programs.
- Manage a team of full-time and part-time staff dedicated to the recruitment, management and retention of part time event staff, supporting events.
- Manage ongoing budget planning and reporting.
- Develop and execute organizational strategy around staffing models for races and other events, with a focus on scalability and sustainable team development.
- Oversee the part-time event staffing program’s processes/procedures and supporting technology for recruitment, onboarding, orientation/ongoing training, scheduling and payroll, performance evaluation, and recognition.
- Contribute to departmental goalsetting and work closely with team members to develop individual performance goals that align with organizational and departmental plans.
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team.
- Work collaboratively with the Culture and DEIS team on inclusive hiring best practices and initiatives
- Coordinate closely with legal and finance teams on all matters related to employment, payroll and risk management for event staffing.
- Other duties and department projects as assigned.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage employee performance through communication of expectations and standards
- Prepare performance appraisals. Work with next level management when employee performance does not meet standards
- Provide effective feedback and coaching to employees, including potential areas of improvement
- Create goals for the team and individual employees
- Encourage an environment of transparency, support, development, and growth
- Delegate and distribute tasks and responsibilities appropriately
- Ensure employees and staff adhere to company policies and procedures
- Make decisions based on best interest of organization
- Track employee attendance, if applicable
- Promote team culture that coincides with NYRR mission and core values
- Minimum 6 years leading and supervising a team, preferably in the sports, nonprofit or staffing industries, including strong logistical and operational and customer service background.
- Must have extensive temporary staff management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively managing large budgets and payroll.
- Project management experience a plus.
- Previous experience in the New York City event planning landscape preferred.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of NYC and NY State labor laws and relevant legal precedents.
Skills and Attributes:
- Expressed and demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse populations is essential, as are a positive attitude and a customer service approach.
- Resourceful, strategic thinking combined with a strong work ethic and tenacity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Focused attention to detail and works well under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to exercise discretion, maintain confidentiality of sensitive information, and exhibit professionalism always.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, timeline focused attitude.
- Independent, organized and driven professional, able to self-motivate and innovate.
- Comfortable presenting to organizational senior management.
- Willingness to work various weekends and extended hours as needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lift heavy equipment greater than 25lbs.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certification a plus.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer