Director, Video and Photography
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
New York Road Runner’s storytellers, Marketing and Communication sets the brand tone. A creative force of mavens tell NYRR’s stories of help and inspire through running across advertising, media, brand strategy, professional athletes, creative, still / video content, digital engagement and product presentation. Using channels ranging from the NYRR RUNCenter to social media, the Marketing & Communication teams connect the science and art of NYRR’s innovations and narratives to the hearts and minds of our constituents.
The NYRR Studio is a multidisciplinary team of creative experts who work with internal and external creative partners to deliver holistic messaging across all channels. They lead creative development of NYRR’s brand voice and visuals. Driving narrative excellence and collaboration across multiple projects simultaneously to ensure that all work is executed against the strategy. They work fully end-to-end, including ideation, film, design, photography and copy to ensure that the story is crafted and delivered masterfully.
About the Position
This role will guide the development of creative visual storytelling across the NYRR Portfolio via Photography and Video. They will work with internal and external creative partners to deliver holistic messaging across all channels and constituent touchpoints while managing the archiving and licensing needs of the team. Along with a strong understanding of the event industry, focusing on detailed plan logistics and movements.
Together with other marketing and communications functional leads, they will drive strategic and storytelling excellence and collaboration across multiple projects, ensuring the work are executed against the seasonal strategy. He/She/They will work across different mediums, including but not limited to video, digital photography, and audio, to ensure that the narrative is crafted and delivered masterfully in a channel-right manner. They are exceptional team players with a passion for learning and growing their strategic, creative, and production experience.
A visionary leader excited about developing and evolving operational processes and creative workflow efficiencies that level up the work and help build long-term Creative Department goals.
- Provide inspirational leadership, strategic vision, and mentorship to the NYRR Video and Photography team
- Manage photo and video content process from start to completion, including developing shot lists, assigning talent, and editing
- Plan and direct team logistics and movements across events and projects
- Oversee and plan photo budget
- Manage NYRR’s photo and video archive using our Digital Asset Management (DAM) System and backend servers
- Manage fulfillment of video and photo requests, both internal and external
- Manage all photo right request and work with NYRR’s legal team to execute requests
- Partner with brand marketing counterparts to craft the vision for a project, season, or effort, and be able to distill that further to a sharp creative strategy that is inspiring and meaningful
- Work closely with Planning, Studio Management, Operations, Production, and Finance colleagues to ensure work is delivered timely and on budget
- Collaborate with the larger creative team to critically evaluate the creative process and continually improve it
- Work closely with the legal department to manage licensing agreements and vendor contracts
- Work closely with Marketing and Communications teams to identify content from media requests to brand campaigns
- Excellent understanding of digital usage of photography and video, including email, social media, and web
- Manage special content capture requests and access
- Partner with Studio team to source, acquire and manage creative freelance talent
- Monitor day to day project activities and resources to ensure that conflicts of priority across projects are resolved
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communication leads to review, prioritize, and communicate appropriate resource requirements for each account and project by reviewing scopes and staffing plans
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of each creatives' experience, strengths, and interests to staff projects effectively
- Play a lead role in creating the best environment for our creative talent to succeed. Monitor creative team performance and help identify opportunities for growth
- Oversee relationships with all freelance photographers, including contract management and budgets
- 8+ years of photo or video editing and management required
- 3+ years of team leadership and people management
- Experience managing photography coverage at events
- Extensive experience working with digital asset management tools, preferably Widen
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, Photography, Visual Arts, or related discipline
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, After Effects, Bridge, Lightroom and Photo Mechanic, as well as photo database/digital asset management systems.
- Extensive knowledge of digital imaging, including RAW image processing, basic retouching, image sizing and metadata
- Familiarity of Sony Cinema Cameras (FS7 or equivalent)
- Understanding of video codecs and formats
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize multiple simultaneous projects under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Must be able to attend occasional weekend events to manage photographers on site
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer