Financial Analyst, FP&A - Race Operation
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
The Finance Department’s mission is focused on partnering with NYRR operating functions to drive optimal decision making and operating performance by providing accounting direction, financial insight and analysis while serving as the financial stewards of the organization. The Finance department consists of Financial Planning & Analysis and Accounting and covers all aspects of Finance including safeguarding and growing the company’s assets, reporting and forecasting performance, including monthly updates to Senior Leadership and preparing Quarterly Updates to the Board, preparation of the annual budget, establishing, and maintaining a functioning set of financial policies, ensuring compliance to audit and generally accepted accounting principles and ethical standards.
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of FP&A, this position will be responsible for preparation of budget, forecast, reporting and analytics collaborating with Race Operation functions within the organization. This requires experience in financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, variance analysis and return on investment calculations. This role must be able to apply basic accounting principles to analyze and forecast financial information and review and interpret financial reports. Duties are outlined below.
- Partner closely with Director of FP&A to develop annual budget and monthly forecast of Race Operation function
- Review monthly results and assist in preparation of variance analysis to explain performance; includes proactively identify key areas of potential risks and opportunities
- Provide financial support and analysis to business function owners to help track and analyze the department’s initiatives
- Support day to day finance tasks including approval of invoices and purchase orders within area of scope
- Partner with Director of FP&A to close out each month, fiscal year, and aid in the audit
- Other ad hoc financial support and analysis
- 2+ years of Financial Planning and Analysis experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with focused attention to detail
- Prior experience with budgeting/forecasting and base level accounting principles
- Organized, with demonstrated experience in prioritizing multiple projects to completion
- Strong interpersonal, communication skill and highly collaborative mindset
- Advanced competency in Microsoft Office, experience with Oracle NetSuite and Adaptive Insights is a plus
- Knowledge and application of basic GAAP
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer