Timing & Scoring Coordinator
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
The Event Development and Production department develops and produces NYRR events from concept all the way through execution in a way that fulfills NYRR’s mission. NYRR produces 56 races per year, in addition to the TCS New York City Marathon, and additional events within each race. The events team is responsible for physical site management, volunteer management, hospitality and special events, safety& security, and managing our Warehouse and all race collateral.
About the Position
The Timing and Scoring Coordinator will assist with the day-to-day operations of the timing & scoring team. This role will be a key member a part of the team that times and scores NYRR’s marquee events including the TCS New York City Marathon, United Airlines NYC Half, and the RBC Brooklyn Half. This full-time position reports to the Director, Timing and Scoring.
- Maintain race wave + corral setup in registration system, coordinating with Event Managers and Scoring leads
- Submit applications for official event sanctions, course certifications, and other official documents
- Process purchase orders, invoices, and expense reports, maintaining budget
- Create and manage contracts with vendors for event services
- Manage activity and payment of cellular connectivity accounts used for timing operations
- Organize and manage file structure and folder management of team files
- Scheduling of availability and assignments for part time staff, vendors, race officials, and notifying chaperones on their availability to work Professional and Marquee Races
- Manage the creation of logistical documentation/operations manuals for Professional and Marquee Races
- Create and manage project management tools and workflow for marquee events
Timing and Scoring:
- Coordinate and maintain efficiency of timing hardware, including preparation, maintenance, and inventory
- Process and update race entrant and finisher data, create internal and external reports, ensuring data accuracy
- Support the Timing and Scoring team in the planning and execution of the TCS New York City Marathon, United Airlines NYC Half and RBC Brooklyn Half, including equipment preparation and logistical planning
- Assist customers with results corrections and updates using CRM Salesforce
- Contribute to departmental projects including training and development to create operational efficiencies
- Work with the Virtual Team at NYRR to publish results for our virtual events
- Set up races in timing systems in preparation for the timing & scoring lead at in-person events
- Create race maps in timing and Google applications; update based on layouts from event leads and share
- KML/KMZ files with internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, not required.
- Project or process management experience
- Experience and interest with both hardware and software
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Teams)
- Attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to adapt and work well under deadlines
- Ability to quickly learn new software, including custom applications
- Interest in running, event production, or working in the sports industry
- Independent and driven, able to work in an office environment, on an event site or remotely, self-motivated, and innovative
- This position requires working events, on some weekends and evenings on site in Central Park and other locations throughout the Metropolitan area
- Available to work the TCS New York City Marathon, the first Sunday in November
- Ability to lift 25-50 lbs
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer