Director, Event Brand Marketing
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people, and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
New York Road Runner’s Marketing department is charged with managing the organization’s creative services, editorial, advertising, and digital operations. The team’s efforts build upon NYRR’s recent brand initiative and Run for Life platform as the organization seeks to tell the bigger NYRR story of huge positive impact; our ongoing focus on broadening our engagement with runners of all types; our efforts to strengthen our alignment with, and support of, our corporate partners; and our opportunity to unlock the power of our community in supporting our youth-and cause-related efforts.
About the Position
This is an exciting new addition to the Brand team, which will enhance the Brand Event’s team with an additional leader to manage the growing responsibilities (virtual, combined races), and provide deeper leadership over the sub-function. The Brand Director, Events, will work independently, and at times collaboratively, on the annual planning and execution of the TCS New York City Marathon marketing strategy, all 5BS and Heritage and marketing all NYRR weekly races and corresponding virtual races. This position resides in the Marketing department, reporting to the Head of Brand, Marketing.
As the Marketing team structure begins to take shape, this position was deemed necessary to effectively, and successfully continue the high level of strategy, planning and execution that is expected from a world-class event organization.
While this marketing director will partner with another marketing director on our premier events, the remainder of our events will be divided up, and managed in an efficient and economical way to allow growth and development opportunities for all team members.
- Co-Lead the TCS New York City Marathon marketing communications including; brand strategy & visual identity, positioning, campaign, media planning, consumer engagement, experiential activations and more.
- Establish and lead all Marathon marketing planning working collaboratively with stakeholders across the organization including; Digital Content, Creative Services Events, PR, Partnerships, Youth & Community, and Strategy & Planning.
- Work collaboratively to lead development and execution of the Marathon advertising campaign. Serve as thought leader and brand steward of campaign, ensuring brand and messaging consistency across organization-wide initiatives.
- Define goals, key strategies and most efficient & effective tactics to drive ongoing engagement throughout the year.
- Manage multiple agency partners and internal creative resources including advertising, media, brand design, signage and experiential. Ensure agency partners push the boundaries, bring forward best-in-class ideas, and drive innovation across key tactics.
- Serve as marketing lead and/or consultant for RFPs related to all Marathon initiatives including; advertising, media, experiential, etc.
- Co-Lead planning and execution of the annual Marathon media strategy including management of Out-of-Home and Digital Paid media vendors and agencies. Be a thought leader and drive innovation across all channels.
- Responsible for driving the annual Marathon application process including development of marketing and communications launch plan, strategic KPIs and consumer data capture.
- Collaborate with digital and social teams to drive innovation across key owned channels. Establish best practices for leveraging digital platforms and technology to support campaign & messaging.
- TV broadcast: Work collaboratively with external broadcast partners and internal broadcast production and PR/Media department, to optimize branding and maximize messaging opportunities across the Marathon broadcast.
- Serve as Marketing lead for Marathon signage planning (including hard and digital signage) working in collaboration with in-house Creative Services Department, ED&P, Digital Content and agencies and vendor(s). Specifically, responsible for the branding and creative look and feel.
- Work collaboratively with internal Experiential team on development of the TCSNYCM Expo and Pavilion race week experiences - focusing on branded signage, content and communications.
- Collaborate with merchandising and licensing department and New Balance on development of TCS New York City Marathon wearables and merchandising elements.
- Collaborate with Partnership team to ensure partner integration across all Marathon initiatives, including execution of contracted assets and approval of partner driven marketing programs and materials. Primary point person for annual Partner Forum marketing materials development.
- Co-Lead all media partnerships, i.e; Runner’s World, New York Times, iHeart Media, etc. Ensure successful execution of year-round contract, tracking deliverables and ensuring Partner assets help drive and support key Marathon initiatives.
- 5BS, Heritage and Weekly Race Marketing
- Lead marketing for the five borough series, heritage and weekly races
- Develop communications plans, and external promotional and advertising plans to drive sell-out and/or registration goals for each race.
- Develop / maintain brand identities for the races, including logos, signage, race collateral and premiums, advertising & communications materials, and on-site experiences
- Collaborate with Creative Services team to ensure successful execution of all creative deliverables against tight timelines and budgets.
- Work closely with the Partnership team on partnered races, to execute partner contracted assets, drive engagement among NYRR members, activate against Partner goals and manage approvals process.
- Collaborate with the Event Development & Production team on execution and branding of the race day experience
- Lead the registration launches of all races on NYRR.org; working closely with all internal stakeholders.
- Deliver thought-leadership, bring new ideas around race promotion, explore grass-roots marketing and partnership ideas that deliver strategic, innovative, hyper-local awareness to NYRR races.
- Provide leadership and guidance to senior manager and manager direct reports.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage employee performance through communication of expectations and standards
- Prepare performance appraisals. Work with next level management (directors or department head as applicable) when employee performance does not meet standards
- Provide effective feedback and coaching to employees, including potential areas of improvement
- Create goals for the team and individual employees
- Encourage an environment of transparency, support, development, and growth
- Delegate and distribute tasks and responsibilities appropriately
- Ensure employees and staff adhere to company policies and procedures
- Make decisions based on best interest of organization
- Track employee attendance, if applicable
- Collaborate with Human Resources as support
- Promote team culture that coincides with NYRR mission and core values
- 8+ years of marketing experience on property, agency, or client side.
- Experience in campaign management, consumer engagement marketing, media planning/oversight.
- Experience managing internal direct reports and cross functional teams.
- Experience managing a number of work intensive projects simultaneously.
- Strong track record crafting successful, channel optimized, consumer-obsessed marketing campaigns across a variety of marketing vehicles
- Budget management and P&L experience
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in Marketing, Business, or a related field preferred
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Ability to partner with, and inspire, a wide-range of stakeholders through the creative development process
- A proven leader
- Ability to operate independently, whether developing a project vision, or leading through execution
- Ability to work through challenges, enjoy problem solving, and develop potential solutions to deliver
- Strong time management, and prioritization skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship and team building skills, ability to collaborate effectively to meet diverse stakeholder and partner goals.
- Ability to meet and perform under tight deadlines, think clearly under pressure, and exercise good judgment
- Excellent time, multi-tasking, and project management skills.
- Ability to work long hours and work on NYRR events on weekends as needed.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, ever-changing environment
- Passion for NYRR and our mission
- Work on site at events, as needed
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer