Internal Communications Associate
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
Our Human Resources department supports the staff at NYRR in numerous ways, including managing recruiting efforts, providing benefits, managing performance and compensation, and providing opportunities for professional training and development. The HR team works closely with each department to understand their specific needs and works to meet those needs. The department ensures that NYRR provides an environment in which employees can innovate and succeed in their positions.
About the Position
This position will report to the Head of Internal Communications, with the core responsibility of supporting communications processes and programs for New York Road Runners. This is an important role that will coordinate various channels and new technologies to ensure employees are aware and understand New York Road Runners’ goals and strategies, and the actions expected of them to achieve them. This position will also help drive our employee engagement and sustainability efforts through activities that have an emphasis on building a winning culture.
- Responsible for implementing effective internal communications strategies, plans, and programs designed to engage employees around our mission, strategy, and core values.
- Update communications channels, including the intranet, digital screens, and other emerging technology.
- Help drive effective business transformation processes, communicate change management initiatives, and build and strengthen our internal brand and culture.
- Partner with others across departments to help coach on general communication best practices, and ensure clear, consistent, and effective messaging to employees.
- Maintain standards and approach for measuring the effectiveness of employee communications efforts on a weekly, monthly, quarterly. and annual basis.
- Assist with management of employee programs and meetings to drive engagement, including, but not limited to: employee anniversary program, rewards & recognition program, manage the administrative aspects of setting up employee meetings and Town Halls, and create engaging touch-points for employees as part of communication campaigns.
- Help serve as editor of our Intranet Portal - gather content, assist with the overall look and feel, ensure content is updated and correct, write internal stories, and make recommendations on site improvements.
- Support all employee organizational announcements
- Partner with members of HR on employee engagement and development initiatives
- Participate in weekly departmental meetings, and relevant cross-departmental and event-focused meetings
- Collaborate with Marketing and HR partners on content creation and management of LinkedIn site
- Support Management in preparing and delivering key communications / events (e.g., presentations, Town Halls, celebration and teambuilding events, etc.) and presenting in these key moments
- Work closely with internal teams, including Culture, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, IT, Office Operations, Community, Marketing, Senior Leadership Team and Event task forces to communicate initiatives
Skills and Attributes:
- Expressed and demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to interface with key stakeholders.
- Ability to identify, assess, understand, and make appropriate recommendations to meet employee communication needs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to support new, creative ways to drive communications.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to build trust.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Positive attitude and willingness to embrace change.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to think and communicate clearly, and create a concise and well-written narrative.
- Willing to roll up one’s sleeves and get work done, even when at times it may fall outside the scope of the job.
- Keenly focused and able to pay painstaking attention to important details.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to exercise discretion, maintain confidentiality of sensitive information, and exhibit professionalism always.
- Experience creating effective messaging for internal audiences and managing a range of communication media including face-to-face, print, online, social, and multimedia.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook).
- Minimum of 2 years of Communications or related experience developing and implementing communications plans and programs
- Bachelor's degree in Communications or relevant field preferred
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer